Quick sour from stepped up dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbindera

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this in the spirit of sour beer "shortcuts". Anybody else stumbled across good yeast from commercial beers that can get you a quick sour beer?

I did a little experiment that came out pretty well. The goal was to step up yeast from two beers (Crooked Stave Vieille & Jester King Mad Meg), blend them together and make a five gallon batch. I chose those breweries mainly because we don't get a lot of bottles from them where I live, they taste great and have great reputations as far as yeast harvesting goes. The only Jester King beer I have ever been able to get is Mad Meg. It's a little high in alcohol, but oh well. I chose Vieille in part because it's pretty low in alcohol. Regardless, I was able to get good stepped up starters from both.

This is different then what I usually do with dregs, which is to just toss them right into the fermenter straight out of the bottle in an ad hoc way.

Anyway, I have a very pleasing sour beer, three weeks after pitching these guys into primary. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I saw very active primary ale fermentation for about 5 days. Temp was pretty steady in the high 70's the whole time. There is not much funky flavor, just a really clean tartness at a level that I would have expected to take much much longer to develop. When I tasted it one week in, there was a slight tartness, but not much. At week 3, the tartness was right there and I got into the keg straight away.

This was a 6 IBU beer with:
61% Belg. Pils.
31% Vienna
5% CaraPils
3% Acid Malt
OG: 1.043
FG: 1.008

How big was the starter you made to step up the dregs? I'm going to do the same thing this fall with 5 bottles of JK dregs.

Built them each up to just over a liter. Started them directly in their original bottles with 1.020 wort then stepped them up in 1 liter starters on a stir plate. Decanted and stored them in the fridge.
Combined them a week before brew day in 2 liter starter for 5-6 days on the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

the stir plate would encourage the brett (and sacch, if any is left) but the bugs won't like it (lacto can deal with a little oxygen, pedio doesn't like it). so by putting your starter on a stir plate, you're tilting the distribution of bugs... which might not be a bad thing since you need a good yeast population to quickly ferment the beer before other nasty bugs take up residence.

Something in there acidifying, not sure what. pH of the finished beer is around 3.8.

Also, I washed the yeast cake from this batch and grew it up again on the stir plate. Brewing another batch to see if I can get a similar result.

I have had good luck using Jolly Pumpkin dregs for souring. About 2-3 months to hit a stable gravity after addition.

Back