Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikonis

Reaction score
Is there a way I can add lasting sweetness to a brew without affecting gravity?

I've been using 1# lactose because I know I'm not intolerant.... but I have a lot of friends that cannot drink it....

I know potassium sorbate is used in wine. I guess that would be fine for kegging. But that pretty much rules out bottle conditioning.

When formulating the recipe, you can use more caramel/crystal malts if you want a sweeter brew, or use less hops. Otherwise, I think you're pretty much stuck with lactose or an unfermentable sweetener (maybe like Splenda?)

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but have you tried making any meads? I have a few friends that prefer something sweeter everytime I give them a homebrew, so I started giving them some grape mead and they love it. It's sweet, not too sweet, and gets them drucker quicker.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but have you tried making any meads? I have a few friends that prefer something sweeter everytime I give them a homebrew, so I started giving them some grape mead and they love it. It's sweet, not too sweet, and gets them drucker quicker.

Well... two reasons....
1) I am impatient fellow.... Don't want to bottle condition forever ;)
2) A long term goal of mine and the SWMBO is to open up a brewpub here in Tyler, TX.... The closest one is 2+ hours away.
2a) It may not be such a longer term than you think....Our Liquor store is up for sale and has had some offers.

Edit: BTW, I know what SWMBO refers to... but what the hell does it stand for?! LOL

Everyone that isn't intolerant has loved the one I've been able to distribute so far

Back