Quick Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a 5.5 gallon batch of 1.039 OG Lite Lager. Fermented with 2 packets of Saflager 23. As per the Saflager info page (http://www.ibrew.com.au/pdf/SaflagerS-23.pdf) from the manufacturer I fermented in a cooler at 12 C or 54 F. It fermented in the cooler for 10 days. About 3 days ago I pulled it out of the cooler and let it rise to 64 degrees (the temp of my basement) to try and rid it of diacetyl. It's been slowly bubbling for the past three days. I took a reading today and it's at 1.004. I tasted the sample and it still tastes of butter popcorn. Should I just let it sit at 64 a little longer? I could put it in my living room which is 68 F....:confused: but that seems too hot for lager...this is my third attempt and always have difficulty getting rid of all the diacetyl. Saflager 23 seems to ferment at the upper range of lager temps....? Advise please.......thanks

68*F is fine. During a diacetyl rest most of the fermentation is done and you really just want the yeast to have an advantage in metbolizing their off-byproducts.

In fact, I always just pull my lagers out to room temp for a week after 2/3 of fermentation is done.

Basically, once respiration and reproduction phases are complete byproducts are minimal.

Nice....I think I will leave it sit at 68 for a week and take another sample. Thanks

Back