Question: Liquid yeast package sat in hot 97 degree garage for a day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was out of town and a friend brought in my shipment but didn't put the yeast in my fridge like I asked. I had them shipped with ice and insulated package but they were beyond melted. About 27 hours.

Obviously making a starter. But wondering if anyone else had a similar situation?

White labs lager yeast.

I had some vault yeast get delivered on a Friday, in Alabama hot summer and sit a day in a black mailbox before I found it.
I'm certain that the ice pack was melted long before it went into my mailbox.
It was fine.

As @MaxStout said, make a starter. Or depending on the estimated cell count and severity of mishandling, a step starter, such as 1 liter at 1.020, followed by 2 liters at 1.040.

Oops, you're brewing a Lager, needing twice as many cells, so a 3rd step of 4-5 liters at 1.040 for a 5 gallon pitch. Or brew a small beer first and use the cake.

Generally, you should always make a starter with liquid yeast, especially when she's older, you don't know her whereabouts, or there was a chance she got overheated, frozen or otherwise mishandled.

BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

Back