Question for the Michiganders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54BelAir

Reaction score
I am going to be in the Saugatuck, MI area for a few days over the holiday weekend. Can anyone familiar with the area point me in the direction of any brewpubs, microbreweries, or places to pick up a few good beers to enjoy while I am there?

Thanks.

How far you willing to drive, and which way are you coming in (if you can hit the breweries on the way up that is). Holland is pretty close so you'll want some from there. (New Holland is based there I think, I'm a bit far from it so I know some of the others know GR and Holland). Are you willing to Drive to Grand Rapids? Further?

Thanks for the quick responses. I have spent a good bit of time in MI so have tried a lot of the killer beers in MI. I am willing to drive a good ways, not sure about the wife. I might have to get a kitchen pass for the day and go on a beer tour. I'm glad to hear that there's so much close by.

Most of my time in MI is is spent in the Heartland and Fenton area, so I am not too familiar with the western part of the state. Plus the folks I visit are BMC and Lebatt drinkers, so not much interest in chasing down good beer from them.

Just to chime in, new holland and founders are two of my favorite breweries. If you go to new holland you have to get some dragons milk, its delicious.

I agree about Founders. They make great beer. I don't think I have had anything from New Holland. I will give the dragons milk a try. Good thing I am driving back to NC instead of flying. I may have to bring a case or two of MI beer back with me!

New Hollands' IPA is called Mad Hatter and is pretty good if you like the hoppier brews. They also have a series of Mad Hatter IPAs. Oak Hatter is an oak barrel aged IPA, Rye Hatter is a Rye Pale Ale, Black Hatter is a Black IPA and Farm Hatter is a Belgian IPA. The Black Hatter was probably my favorite of them.

Another really good beer that they have is el Mole Ocho. They describe it as a Mexican spiced ale and that's really good too.

You're definitely going to have a lot of to choose from.

Nice! I really like RyePA. I'll drink anything from malty to hoppy. The only thing I don't like are hop bombs where the hops just smack you in the face and its the only thing you taste.

Sounds like I have a lot of drinking to do.

Are you going to go as far as Lansing or Ann Arbor or pass through the area? Just seeing if we should recommend further breweries.

I could end up in either place. After Saugatuck we will head back to Hartland, in the Fenton, Brighton, Milford area. The wife has friends in Lansing and Ann Arbor. We could end up either place before we head back to NC.

I am in Michigan a lot, so any beer insight is appreciated.

It's crappy. I remember someone's comment..."smells like toilet water, tastes similar."

Good to know. Definitely won't waste a trip there.

I could end up in either place. After Saugatuck we will head back to Hartland, in the Fenton, Brighton, Milford area. The wife has friends in Lansing and Ann Arbor. We could end up either place before we head back to NC.

I am in Michigan a lot, so any beer insight is appreciated.

I'm not really familiar with the east side breweries but in other MI breweries, Shorts is worth a visit if you're ever in the northern lower peninsula. Had a carrot cake ale at the MI Winter Beer fest that was really good. Huma Lumpa Licious is an tasty IPA and their Black Cherry Porter is awesome. It's top on my list of Porters.

If you're feeling a bit hoppy, Check out Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City.

Have a good trip and welcome to Michigan. I think our state motto is "If you're seeking a pleasant beer, look around you.".....or something like that.

Thanks for your help. I will definitely be seeking pleasant beer, and I am sure I will find it.

They should make one of those Pure Michigan commercials about all the great beer you have there.

Good to know. Definitely won't waste a trip there.

I'm not really familiar with the east side breweries but in other MI breweries, Shorts is worth a visit if you're ever in the northern lower peninsula. Had a carrot cake ale at the MI Winter Beer fest that was really good. Huma Lumpa Licious is an tasty IPA and their Black Cherry Porter is awesome. It's top on my list of Porters.

If you're feeling a bit hoppy, Check out Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City.

Have a good trip and welcome to Michigan. I think our state motto is "If you're seeking a pleasant beer, look around you.".....or something like that.

Right Brain is the $hit. Also, I thought Jolly Pumpkin would be crappy (since I'm not a fan of Belgium inspired ale and crazy barrel aging) but it was great. Ann Arbor has many brew pubs, but none will knock your socks off. BARTS also surprised me (out of Bay City).

But if you can somehow only go to one brewery in Michigan, make it Founders. Bells looks like Miller Light compared to Founders.

I want to get to Founders soon if I don't make it this trip. I haven't had a beer I don't like from them yet. I especially like the breakfast stout.

When your in Fenton, Redwood Lodge is about 15 mins north in Grand Blanc. Some of their beers are hit or miss but I've had some fantastic ones too. They also usually have at least one cask ale and several seasonals or special batches. +1 on Barts in Bay City. I've never had a bad beer there and they are really cheap. Also, they have the best pulled pork BBQ sandwich in Michigan as far as I have tasted.

I've heard that the Redwood lodge has good food, add beer to the mix and I will definitely put on the must see list.

We usually end up at the French Laundry in Fenton. They always have good beer; I think they mostly focus on Michigan beers now.

...pulled pork BBQ'D in Bay City? I may have to give it a shot. Coming from the land of pork BBQ I would like to compare.

The breweries I know of in Ann Arbor are really within walking distance of each other in the downtown area. Blue Tractor, Grizzly Peak, Ann Arbor Brewing Company, Jolly Pumpkin (Though their brewery is mainly in Dexter). Ashley's is supposed to have a good selection of Michigan beers but they're not a brewery.

The breweries I know of in Ann Arbor are really within walking distance of each other in the downtown area. Blue Tractor, Grizzly Peak, Ann Arbor Brewing Company, Jolly Pumpkin (Though their brewery is mainly in Dexter). Ashley's is supposed to have a good selection of Michigan beers but they're not a brewery.

Wolverine just popped up, too. Specializes in lagers and they are on the West side.

So far Short's The Magician, and Soft Parade in bottles, and Bellaire Brown on draft.

New Holland Full Circle Kolsh and Sundog Amber. Founders Cherise. All in bottles.

My brother in law wanted a couple from Saugatuck Brewing, but I didn't bother withe those based on previous recommendations.

So far I have liked the Bellaire Brown the best.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to New Holland Brewing. A six month old baby and a grumpy wife foil the best laid plans.

I have until Saturday, so I am still on my quest. I hope to make it to Ann Arbor before we go home. Until then I will keep searching the party stores.

Thank you for all of your advice. Saugatuck was a different sort of a town, very nice, but a bit different.

So far Short's The Magician, and Soft Parade in bottles, and Bellaire Brown on draft.

New Holland Full Circle Kolsh and Sundog Amber. Founders Cherise. All in bottles.

My brother in law wanted a couple from Saugatuck Brewing, but I didn't bother withe those based on previous recommendations.

So far I have liked the Bellaire Brown the best.

Unfortunately I didn't make it to New Holland Brewing. A six month old baby and a grumpy wife foil the best laid plans.

I have until Saturday, so I am still on my quest. I hope to make it to Ann Arbor before we go home. Until then I will keep searching the party stores.

Thank you for all of your advice. Saugatuck was a different sort of a town, very nice, but a bit different.

Lol yes, Saugatuck is a bit....different.

Glad you were able to get some Michigan brews you like.

I've heard Saugatuk was pretty good, and this was from New Holland person.

Too bad you missed the NH tour. It's a pretty good time.

Honestly, there is a LOT of GREAT beer in Michigan. Bells, New Holland, Arcadia, Michigan Brewing Company (well, some of their stuff), Arbor Brewing. People seem to like Jolly Pumpkin, but I'm not a fan. I thought their beer was just ok. We went to Arbor right after and I thought their beer was better.

TC area also has some good craft breweries. Right Brain, Shorts, Mackinaw Brewing, North Peak, and a Joly Pumpkin place.

I'm not even familiar with the many brewpubs on the East Side of the state, and I'm sure I'm missing a few very good breweries.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice.

We made it to Ann Arbor, but everyone wanted to eat Mexican. I couldn't convince anyone otherwise. :mad: All the mexican joint had was Miller Lite and Dos Equis on tap. Food was good though.

I was able to pick up a 6er of Bells Amber, certainly not top shelf Michigan beer, but it was good as an easy drinking summer beer.

I'll be back up that way around T'giving or Christmas, and I will keep looking. It's not easy when everyone around think Lebatt and Leinies are the good beer.

Latest posts

Back