Question for Electric brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caspio

Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to pick your brains on a question regarding partial conversion to electric. Right now I'm kicking around the idea of creating a brewtroller-controlled RIMS setup. If I already have the brewtroller, then the additional cost of an element, temp probe and SSR is very minimal, making it attractive to add electric heating to other parts of my setup.

The question is - once I've converted a kettle to electric, at that point is it electric-only? If I did head to a buddy's house for a brew day and haul my stand along, would I be able to fire up the propane burners without melting the water heater elements right out of their fittings?

The idea of an electric transition is definitely appealing, but I'd prefer to not end up with a brew rig that I can't take anywhere.

Thoughts?

I do not think that the elements "plastic" base would handle the heat,and if you did not disconnect the wires, they would certainly fry.

Gas burners throw off copious amounts of heat as you know.

I say, buy a large portable generator :D

My version 1 of my electric HLT had an element die because I tried using it on a burner. It was way to close to the burner and the plastic melted. I have seen on another site a guy built one that will work on both propane and electric. If you make some heat shields it may work.

The best option for this situation would be weld a coupling or nut onto the pot so you could plug the hole for times you want to use gas heating.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how the plastic threads would stand up to being added/removed over time. I guess it wouldn't matter too much, they wouldn't get swapped often, and in any case elements are cheap.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder how the plastic threads would stand up to being added/removed over time. I guess it wouldn't matter too much, they wouldn't get swapped often, and in any case elements are cheap.

The threads of the element ,at least mine, are metal. The plastic is at the end of the element where the electrical connection is.

If your building a RIMS, then technically the 'electric' part of the stand is separate. Its connected to the stand via hoses, which can be disconnected. Weldless fittings would be a problem though.

You didn't mention what you wanted to do with your HLT. With RIMs, you can choose to either leave it gas fired, or make it electric. If you have 2 pumps, you could also create a RIMS for your HLT. Its an added expense vs. the standard electric HLT, but would give you your dual heat source. Just a tradeoff of features vs. expense.

Good luck!

Back