Question about spigot on conical fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Hi,

I have only been using glass carboys as my fermentation vessels for years. But I've been thinking about the pros and cons of getting a SS conical. One thing I'm not clear on...

Can you easily take sample for taste and gravity readings from the rotating racking arm? Is that how it's done? Does this not lead to sanitation issues like many warn about with the plastic spigots on brew buckets?

Just never been clear on how one samples with a conical, but something easier and cleaner than dipping a wine thief into a carboy would be nice.

Thanks.

You would take samples from the top valve. Make sure you sanitize before and after taking the sample.
You might be pulling trub/yeast from the valve, I would recommend waiting to have dump the majority of the yeast from the dump valve (bottom) before taking sample from the upper one. You should get clear beer and avoid clogging this way.
I got a 1/2BBL fermenter from http://www.ssbrewtech.com/ and I love it.
Hope this helps.

in my opinion, there just isn't any reason to be taking multiple samples at all, from any fermenter. Take care of business correctly in making a yeast starter..... oxygenate your wort, pitch yeast, keep at proper temperature. Come back in 2-3 weeks. 9.9 times out of 10 your beer is going to be done, exactly where it should be. I really don't understand the need to take multiple samples out of a fermenter. I routinely ferment in bottling buckets and in SS brew buckets...... I take a quick sample at 14-21 days when I am about to keg, just to confirm where I am at, but it is always right where it should be.

Good yeast, good starter and the beer is always finished in 2 weeks with a normal beer an 3 weeks with a big beer.

Thanks, and I totally hear you about not needing to take many samples, but there are times, such as with high gravity beers and meads that taking samples can be helpful. But I take your point. Thanks for the explanations.

in my opinion, there just isn't any reason to be taking multiple samples at all, from any fermenter. Take care of business correctly in making a yeast starter..... oxygenate your wort, pitch yeast, keep at proper temperature. Come back in 2-3 weeks. 9.9 times out of 10 your beer is going to be done, exactly where it should be. I really don't understand the need to take multiple samples out of a fermenter. I routinely ferment in bottling buckets and in SS brew buckets...... I take a quick sample at 14-21 days when I am about to keg, just to confirm where I am at, but it is always right where it should be.

Good yeast, good starter and the beer is always finished in 2 weeks with a normal beer an 3 weeks with a big beer.

Kegs are beautiful, no worry about bottle bombs.

I understand your point and it does make sense. But... I believe a brewer can learn a lot about what is going on during fermentation by looking, smelling, tasting beer as it goes. I like to do that, it is part of the brewing experience and I definitely understand other people wanting to do so.

Also, your post does not answer the OP's question. Yes you can take sample without compromising your beer, as always, use good sanitation technique.

Good points, and I had not even considered anything like a mead.....

I do sample through spigots the day (or day before) I plan to keg or bottle (yes, I do bottle sometimes too). A spray bottle of starsan is the key to sanitizing before and after you use the spigot. I also keep a sandwich baggie over my spigots with rubberbands to keep fruitflies, etc. out of them.

Back