Question about honey wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJordan

Reaction score
about to brew a Brewer's Best American pale ale kit. I would like to turn this into a honey wheat ale. how much honey should be added to a typical 5 gallon batch? and at what time should I add it to the wort?

I'm sure responses are going to be varied here but I would suggest using a honey malt. Using real honey works but the honey malt gives a mighty honey taste and mouth feel in my opinion (Ive used it in my last two batches at around 10%). Combine the honey malt with the wheat malt and I dont think you need real honey.

Then again, Ive only been brewing for 2 years and barely qualify for amateur status and have limited knowledge of using actual honey (maybe 2 batches). Although I have made mead.

I agree. I have gotten much more honey taste from honey malt over actual honey.

I have a honey wheat bottle conditioning right now. I steeped half a pound of honey malt before my boil, full boil 5 gallon batch, and I got very little honey flavor. I don't know if I steeped it too long or not long enough or what it the honey flavor isn't nearly as noticeable as I was hoping for. This was only my second batch though so I'm definitely not an expert.

Like brewWNC I am not long time pro, but I have done a lot of reading on this. The issue is that real honey added gives little flavour as it will mostly ferment out in you beer. So you get a higher abv but not much taste for a lot of honey. Honey malt on the other hand does add a fair bit of flavor. I have not used real honey but have used a bit of the malt and enjoyed the flavor of the honey hefe I am drinking now.

the kit has 2 3.3lb cans of wheat extract and 1lb of flaked wheat. Here in Texas Shiner made a honey wheat beer years ago. They boasted about using local honey. I kinda miss it so that's the flavor I'm trying to achieve. Also, thanks for the input, I really like your forum.

If you keg, you could add a little raw honey when you keg it and keep it refrigerated to prevent it from fermenting out. But I'm with the honey malt people, it is a simple way to get the flavor of honey without bottle bombs. I've got an APA on tap now that used a quarter lb of honey malt and that is the predominant flavor. Any more than half lb in a 5 gal batch and it just tastes sweet like other caramel/crystal malts though.

Well I took your advise and steeped 1/2lb of honey malt with the grains in the kit. The wort finished with a nice honey aroma. it's been bubbling away in the fermenter for 4 days. I think this might be good. :D

Back