quesrtion on using my keezer to chill wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
SO i had a disastrous brewday. Forgot to put the collar on my hop blocker while brewing ten gallons of IPA. needless to say I ran my pumps and nothing was coming out. I didn't have my old immersion chiller handy so I had to improvise by just dumping the hot wort into my fermenter and dumping them into my keezer.

I understand this is not ideal and it will take a long time to chill down but Im just worried it may be overworking my keezer. I normally just use it for my kegs and keep it at a constant 48.

Is having it chill down ten gallons of wort that's over a hundred and 50 degrees working it too hard? I don't want it to short out. its running pretty hot right now when i touch the sides but from what i've read that's because the heat transfer coils are on the outside.

Well, it may sound like you're doing something extreme, but compressors are actually pretty good at running for long stretches. What they decidedly don't like is lots of short runs with little off time between.

I'd say not to worry and run the course before pitching at an optimal temperature...

Cheers!

I use one of my chest freezers to "finish" chilling my wort, beyond what my immersion chiller/hose water can accomplish. Say from 75-90*F to 50-65*F, depending on the time of year/groundwater temp and style/yeast. Never gone from 150*F+ to pitching temp though! that's quite a drop. Don't see why it should work though, as long as the compressor is not cycling on and off frequently.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It will take awhile but you should be fine basically a no chill method and it will take all night would be my guess. One thing to consider will be condensation and future frost build up you may want to wipe everything down good once you are finished.

Back