Purchased beer keg won't flow at all

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hootowl

Reaction score
I have the "D" style US tap and have been using it for over a year... probably went through over 5 sixtles.
I also home brew using cornys but like to buy a local craft brewed keg especially when I'm running low.

So I tapped this thing and nothing. Checked all of the standard things like gas, proper hookup.

I got all the way to removing the check valve from the liquid ball lock fitting and the check valve in the ball lock converter fitting on the tap.

Still nothing.

I removed the tap and removed the plastic check ball and plastic star retainer... I can see straight through... and BTW I also hooked up a gas line to the serve line to make sure the line/faucet wasn't obstructed. No issue there.

Finally I simply shoved a clear hose over the outlet port of the tap and engaged the handle. Got a spurt and then nothing.

I'm thinking the spear is clogged from the brewery. Taking it back.

Last edited:
Sounds like you know your equipment. Are you sure that you have co2 left? Weigh the tank and subtract the TW number stamped on the side. That's will give you how much co2 is left.

Make sure the tank is opened and set to your serving pressure and any shutoffs in the line are open.

Sounds like you know your equipment. Are you sure that you have co2 left? Weigh the tank and subtract the TW number stamped on the side. That's will give you how much co2 is left.

Make sure the tank is opened and set to your serving pressure and any shutoffs in the line are open.

Yes thank you, Gauge shows full... I know it is and the other faucets flow. I also used a spare full tank to no avail. I'm going to take it back today still assuming I am doing something wrong and let them verify.

Well I took the keg back. Unfortunately they didn't have another. I asked them to test this one. They put my tap on it. It flows fine. We both think it had a yeast blockage. I do remember now there was some cream colored stuff coming out initially. We think the shaking from moving it around cleared it. Got home, hooked it up and perfect pour after the first few.

Latest posts

Back