Pump recomendation for kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this is really just small talk, but figured i'd ask...

i'm tired of lifting my 88lb fermenter onto the table to fill 2 kegs from. i'm not worried about oxygen.

i've tried submersible pumps, which do the trick. but they're hard to clean. and they leave more behind then i'd like.

i know i could get one of the $100+ things, but i'm looking for something considerably cheaper.

any ideas? :mug:

Just thinking out loud here, but is your fermenter air tight enough to where you can get a few pounds of pressure? CO2 would be ideal to pressure transfer but if not, I’m thinking an air compressor putting a few pounds ontop of the beer would introduce less oxygen than a pump? Just a guess. Otherwise, what about some type of pulley to lift the fermenter?

I’m thinking an air compressor putting a few pounds ontop of the beer

you know, that's a pretty good idea! drill a couple holes in the lid, buy a cheap little air compressor. i could use my siphon with a gromet in the other hole! i like it, i'll be looking into it see if it would work....

Are you worried about foam? Using any type of centrifugal pump to perform an open transfer of even partly carbonated beer is definitely going to produce a nice foamy mess...

never had foam with the submersible?

Not sure how you would power it but something like this pump or a version of it might work.

damn i was just about to buy one off ebay, very similar but comes wired with a power supply. then i wondered, think something like that can lift the flow as high as a keg?

NVM, just looked at the listing say 9.8 feet...i'll find out if it works

@Ridenour64 still got that crafty idea stuck in my head, going to have to toss it around a bit....

damn i was just about to buy one off ebay, very similar but comes wired with a power supply. then i wondered, think something like that can lift the flow as high as a keg?
Says "max discharge head 9.8feet. So I imagine it would 2gal per minute not bad. Only thing is its not self priming.

Yeah if I was going that route I would sooner drill a hole for gas posts and transfer with co2.

lol, i knew someone would say that! ;) i did get to thinking after your comment, you know i burn about an ounce of co2 pruging with an open transfer, and 5 gallons of co2 is the same weight....hmmmmm, maybe someday i'll realize the error of my ways. but that will be for a few years down the road. :mug:

Last edited:
well i bought the drill pump. i'll post a pic with it in action, or complain it didn't work.....thinking i'll just c-clamp it to a chair between the keg and fermenter, with hoses in both.....should be interesting! and cheaper then the 1/2" siphon i bought for $28.....

well i bought the drill pump. i'll post a pic with it in action, or complain it didn't work.....thinking i'll just c-clamp it to a chair between the keg and fermenter, with hoses in both.....should be interesting! and cheaper then the 1/2" siphon i bought for $28.....
Judging by the pump housing shape, that is a peristaltic pump. Not a bad choice from a sanitation standpoint since it has minimal crevices to harbor gunk, but it will also move beer at a very slow rate. However, it might come in handy if you ever decide to drink beer intravenously.

Hope you weren't planning on hand cranking that thing 😆

Screw pumps and syphons... CO2 push FTW!

Seriously, I've been doing CO2 pushes to move beer for a LONG time. Absolute zero chance of oxidization. Parts used are easy to completely clean and sanitize. Zero electricity needed as well. You only need a few PSI to move beer in most cases (depending on how high you need to push the beer. I used this to push a 12 gallon (finished volume) from a kegmenter into three corny kegs earlier this year (before moving over to conical fermenters).

Judging by the pump housing shape, that is a peristaltic pump. Not a bad choice from a sanitation standpoint since it has minimal crevices to harbor gunk, but it will also move beer at a very slow rate. However, it might come in handy if you ever decide to drink beer intravenously.

Hope you weren't planning on hand cranking that thing 😆

i got a 3000rpm drill to run it....figure for 10 bucks worth a shot..i was reading that link closer, and got worried when it basicly said "if it doesn't work, try harder" lol

i got a 3000rpm drill to run it....figure for 10 bucks worth a shot..i was reading that link closer, and got worried when it basicly said "if it doesn't work, try harder" lol
I'm sure it will work, and you are a patient man so I really don't see a problem.

Me personally, I love using my CO2 setup, makes me feel like a beer man. A refill on my 20# tank is about $30 out here in west burbs, though I'm still on my first tank. Done lots of purging, served a dozen or more kegs, carbonated random bottles of this and that, and done a lot of pushing starsan back and forth cleaning lines and whatnot, and its just now starting to feel light. So far, I've had lots of fun for $30.

I'm sure it will work, and you are a patient man so I really don't see a problem.

Me personally, I love using my CO2 setup, makes me feel like a beer man. A refill on my 20# tank is about $30 out here in west burbs, though I'm still on my first tank. Done lots of purging, served a dozen or more kegs, carbonated random bottles of this and that, and done a lot of pushing starsan back and forth cleaning lines and whatnot, and its just now starting to feel light. So far, I've had lots of fun for $30.
I've filled my 5# CO2 tank a couple times (or swapped it at least a few times). Still on the original fill of both the 20# and 10# CO2 tanks. Will probably not get the 2.5# tank filled again. Need to find someone to take that.

yeah it costs me $27, and with a typical 18lb fill, it's 288ozs and 5gallons is ~1.2oz....but old memories of having leaks and not knowing stil haunt me...not because i'm worried about the transfer. just an unexplainable phobia....

oh damn man, thanks again! i got a bench grinder that i don't use, now if this thing works with the drill, unlike trying it as a motor for my grain mill! it find a new home! lol, i think it's 6000rpm, might be able to finally fill a keg as fast as i can drink one! right on! ;) :mug:

I've filled my 5# CO2 tank a couple times (or swapped it at least a few times). Still on the original fill of both the 20# and 10# CO2 tanks. Will probably not get the 2.5# tank filled again. Need to find someone to take that.

DAMN! since 2-2014 i've had my 20lb'r swaped 18 times?

Not gonna lie, I sell a similar drill pump and its garbage. Different brand but likely made in the same ... quality ... but it was being used to move automotive fluids so maybe it will hold up to beer better. Oxidation will be a thing but I think you drink fast enough for it not to play a huge role.

Not gonna lie, I sell a similar drill pump and its garbage. Different brand but likely made in the same ... quality ... but it was being used to move automotive fluids so maybe it will hold up to beer better. Oxidation will be a thing but I think you drink fast enough for it not to play a huge role.

yeah, for 9.99+tax...."free shipping" i figure the thing costs like $3....but f'it, i plan on having my $10 worth of fun! probably end up with one of the $30 dolar ones...

now i know i'm searching a "Self priming, Transfer pump" though! appreciate it! :mug: to all

I don’t think oxidation is really an issue here, @bracconiere is a pretty quick drinker 10 gallons doesn’t last him too long so I’m thinking by the time oxidation sets in it’ll be gone sooooo.........

This is what I use for the last 5 years. No foaming , never had a problem with contamination or oxygen. The pick up tube when set directly on the bottom center of my sanke keg fermenter pulls a little yeast then clears up in seconds. Only leaves about 2 qts when it runs dry.

Attachments

• 90BD7E66-83B3-4987-A665-8896C0F614FC.png
    90BD7E66-83B3-4987-A665-8896C0F614FC.png
    710.5 KB · Views: 40
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/economy-plus-series-2200-10-gpm-40-psi-demand-style-pump
This is what I use as my beer line cleaning pump and it works fantastic. I've started barrel aging but these small barrels have a tiny bung and basically only enough room for a small hose or racking cane so I decided to use this pump and it worked great. I basically got all but a 1/4 - 1/2 pint or so out of the barrels. Think that beer was on tap for close to a month and was delicious to the end. I wouldn't recommend transfering a NEIPA with it but I wouldn't be overly scared of anything not real hoppy as fast as your drain them kegs.🤪 Lol.

Attachments

• 20210807_064116.jpg
    20210807_064116.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 21
I suspect you’ve already solved this but if not I’ll add my 2 cents here. After 20 years of brewing I’ve tried a lot of transfer methods, and I’ve yet to see a fermenter I can’t pressure transfer from - just takes a little ingenuity.

Seems you’re overthinking this. As many others have said, stay away from pumping. It adds risk of contamination from pump, cavitation, and oxidation; all undesirable. If you‘re kegging you obviously have CO2; let it do the work for you. For me it uses very little CO2.

If you like info on ways to pressure transfer using your specific fermenter I‘d be happy to help. Cheers🍻

The only pump I would even consider using for transferring beer would be a true peristaltic pump. None of the pumps that have been shown are true peristaltic pumps. Peristaltic pumps are not cheep as their primary use is in the medical field.

However, your use, or should I say lose, of CO2 should be examined closer. From your comments about going through Lots of CO2, you are probably loosing it to a leak somewhere in you equipment. CO2 is by far the all around best method for transferring fermented beer. There is little to no chance of oxidation when pushing beer from the fermenter to a keg with CO2.

I would find and correct the CO2 leak first then use CO2 to get the job done correctly.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back