Pump and Sparge arm cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
Hello All
I recently made a sparge arm for my keggle much like the More Beer ultimate sparge arm. I was wondering can I use this and a wort immersion chiller and a pump to cool the wort? I would like to set it up and let the pump and arm do the work. I usually run the chiller and mix around with a spoon.

Thanks

Just verifying, is the purpose to chill the wort? If so, I don't see the need for the sparge arm. Do you have an old 10 gallon cooler? If so, you can purchase a water pump for around $40-$50 that will attach to your immersion chiller. The water return goes back into the cooler so there is very little mess. What I do is place a few bags of ice in the cooler and add a gallon of water. It cools down the wort to a yeast pitchable temperature in about 15 minutes.

No it is not the only purpose to chill the wort. The pump will be used for recirculating the mash to keep even temps. I do BIAB and have a false bottom in my keggle. The bottom keeps the bag off the bottom. Since the pump already has wort in it and sterile, I just thought it would be easier to just let it run during the chill down. Only reason to use the arm also it that I could close to keggle to keeps things out.

I have a recirculating BIAB system and do exactly what you are describing. Running the pump through the sparge arm during chilling serves a few purposes for me.

1. Allows me to put the lid on the pot and walk away. The recirculation means I don't have to stand there stirring and it chills faster.
2. It aerates the wort. I typically don't use any additional aeration other than what is introduced during my 15 minute chilling cycle.

I have a recirculating BIAB system and do exactly what you are describing. Running the pump through the sparge arm during chilling serves a few purposes for me.

1. Allows me to put the lid on the pot and walk away. The recirculation means I don't have to stand there stirring and it chills faster.
2. It aerates the wort. I typically don't use any additional aeration other than what is introduced during my 15 minutes chilling cycle.

Do you also let the pump run at all during the mash? I have heard it can help clear up the wort and maybe increase efficiency.

Back