Whirlpooling and chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanilla_prison

Reaction score
I can’t seem to find a straight answer for my question via googling. There seems to be much debate on whirlpooling with or without cooling. For context, I brew with an Anvil Foundry 10.5 and I have a Riptide pump with a 21” swirly arm. So doing whirlpools is an easy task. My question is about when exactly to whirlpool or cool, considering I’m going for trub reduction in the fermenter? I don’t do any whirlpool hop additions, so this is specifically about wanting beer as clear as possible. So should I:

1) Run wort through CFC while doing whirlpool, rest, then transfer to fermenter
2) Whirlpool, rest, then run through CFC into fermenter
3) Recirculate through CFC back into kettle until cool, then whirlpool, rest, and transfer

Seems like a dumb question, but beforehand I used an immersion chiller and whirlpooled by hand simply to cool faster before transfer. So with my new pump, CFC, and swirly arm a different world is opened up. Thanks!

The way I see it, the best time to whirpool (and how I do it with an IC) is to chill it down to about 165, then whirlpool, then finish chilling for a hoppy beer. For not so hoppy, for convenience I'll whirlpool, then chill. WIth a CFC, if chilling all the way in 1 pass, I'd whirlpool first, then chill. The more you expose it below 160, especially mixing it in really good, the bigger chance of contamination. Years ago I was chilling an IPA, then dozed off. It must have picked up a REALLY virulent wild yeast, since 3 hours later it was cool, but fermenting so hard it looked like it was boiling hard, and I hadn't even added yeast yet. Try not to expose the beer too long once down to about 160.

Last edited:
There's no definitive answer to this question.
Given you're not adding hops post-boil, then for simplicity and sanitation I'd recommend chilling during transfer to fermenter, i.e. after whirlpool.

chance of contamination
If chilling during whirlpool, it's best to keep the kettle covered to reduce risk from airborne contaminants.

I would seem like if you could whirlpool and cool in effectively one operation, then drain to fermenter, that would be the way to go. 🤷‍♂️

That said, it's quite possible there's more to it than that.

I start the whirlpool and the IC at the same time. It spins for about 5 minutes, then I kick off the whirlpool (no wort movement at all) and chill for another 20 minutes-ish, down as far as my chilling water will take it. What is left is pretty clear.

I'm not overly concerned with clear wort, but as long as I'm chilling anyway I'll take it. I also use whirlflock in the boil, and a hop spider so I can remove the hops when I desire (i.e., during the whirlpool).

If your not doing a whirlpool for hop additions temp isn't an issue . I'd run the wort through the pump and cfc to whirlpool at flame out . Running hot wort through the pump and cfc will sanitize them . After a few minutes then slow the flow to cool your wort, then transfer once the desired temp is reached. Like passedpawn said whirfloc helps as well. It won't take long to whirlpool and cool 10 gallons .

I can’t seem to find a straight answer for my question via googling. There seems to be much debate on whirlpooling with or without cooling. For context, I brew with an Anvil Foundry 10.5 and I have a Riptide pump with a 21” swirly arm. So doing whirlpools is an easy task. My question is about when exactly to whirlpool or cool, considering I’m going for trub reduction in the fermenter? I don’t do any whirlpool hop additions, so this is specifically about wanting beer as clear as possible. So should I:

1) Run wort through CFC while doing whirlpool, rest, then transfer to fermenter
2) Whirlpool, rest, then run through CFC into fermenter
3) Recirculate through CFC back into kettle until cool, then whirlpool, rest, and transfer

Seems like a dumb question, but beforehand I used an immersion chiller and whirlpooled by hand simply to cool faster before transfer. So with my new pump, CFC, and swirly arm a different world is opened up. Thanks!
1 & some of 3 for me

I built my system to cool and whirlpool at the same time with the lid on, then rest in the kettle for 45 minutes after chilling and runoff by gravity to the fermenter. The first cloudy 2-3 quarts I put in beer pitchers, let settle in the fridge and freeze as vitality starters and for a hydrometer reading. The rest is gin clear going into the fermenters. I do run dual CFCs in parallel to separate whirlpool ports high and low for faster cooling with 13-16 gal boils.

When ground water is warm I recirc ice water only through the blichmann chilling coil in the lid to bring the wort to pitching temperature as it settles for 45 mins. This is effective and still allows the break to settle nicely while slowly cooling to pitch in a static state.

20231217_193435.jpg

I start the whirlpool and the IC at the same time. It spins for about 5 minutes, then I kick off the whirlpool (no wort movement at all) and chill for another 20 minutes-ish, down as far as my chilling water will take it. What is left is pretty clear.

I'm not overly concerned with clear wort, but as long as I'm chilling anyway I'll take it. I also use whirlflock in the boil, and a hop spider so I can remove the hops when I desire (i.e., during the whirlpool).
I can’t develop and effective whirlpool swirl with the swirly arm and create a trub cone with IC in my Anvil. The IC gets placed into the wort in last 10 minutes of my boil to sanitize it. I’m thinking I need to either forget trying to create a trub cone with the swirly arm or wait until I’m fully cooled, pull the IC, and then swirl again for the trub cone.

I say #3 to help keep break material in the BK before pumping to the FV.
If it's hard to get a trub cone you might try this.
My BK has a false bottom and I use a combo of leaf and pellet hops. I use an immersion chiller and when done chilling I pump the wort to a bottling bucket. Then set it in the fermentation fridge for an hour or more while I get the yeast and FV ready. The time in the fridge allows the trub and pellets that made into the bucket to settle out. Then I drain the clear wort off the junk into the FV. The wort is aerated as it drops from the bucket to the FV. I get clear wort and get rid of the pellets while aerating at the same time.

When whirlpooling the only cone you get is a hop cone the trub always lays flat in my kettle. Just like a keg I get a hole in the trub where my pick up is (1/8" off bottom) , once the hole is made I get clear wort pumping into my FV. The small amount is said to be beneficial to the yeast. I chill thru the whirlpool until cold break ,then let settle(hence flat trub layer) and pump clear wort into Big Mouth,so no way to remove cold break if I chilled on the way.

When whirlpooling the only cone you get is a hop cone the trub always lays flat in my kettle. Just like a keg I get a hole in the trub where my pick up is (1/8" off bottom) , once the hole is made I get clear wort pumping into my FV. The small amount is said to be beneficial to the yeast. I chill thru the whirlpool until cold break ,then let settle(hence flat trub layer) and pump clear wort into Big Mouth,so no way to remove cold break if I chilled on the way.

Even though the op isn't doing a wp hop addition , there is hop additions during the boil, so a cone isn't out of the question. I believe op is saying running the wp and chill at same time until coldbreak, then transferring to the fv.

Even though the op isn't doing a wp hop addition , there is hop additions during the boil, so a cone isn't out of the question. I believe op is saying running the wp and chill at same time until coldbreak, then transferring to the fv.
Yes, that’s what I’m referring to. Let the cold break happen inside the BK, then transfer and leave that all out of the fermenter.

At flame out, I just stir my pot for 30-seconds, cover it and wait 20-minutes and end up with a nice cone every time. Then I run it through my chiller into the fermenter.

Attachments

• 20230620_101130.jpg
    20230620_101130.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Back