Pull Out Early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a batch of applewine (edwort's recipe) that's almost three weeks into fermentation. With the fourth of July being tomorrow I want to bottle tonight, but I dont know if it's too early. What do you think? (The wine has been in carboy for approximately 20 days) Thanks!!!

First, what does it taste like"? Second, what is the current and starting gravity? Third, Why are you in a rush?

What should it taste like? I did not take the starting gravity so taking the final gravity is pointless, third I am low on cash because I spent my disposable income on the materials for the applewine.

You can't bottle without taking a gravity reading, unless you want a few glass grenades. It might be done, it may not be. The only way to know is to take a gravity reading. And in a week, take another. If they are the same, and at a reasonable SG, it's probably safe to bottle. Taking the reading is certainly not "pointless"- it's THE thing to do.

If the cider is clear, without any lees dropping over at least 60 days, it is probably ok to bottle without gravity readings. But even then, taking at least one reading would save the risk of bottle bombs.

I thought this thread was going to be about something else entirely...But the answer is the same. If you "pull out early" you are just tempting fate. Safety first.

You can't bottle without taking a gravity reading, unless you want a few glass grenades. It might be done, it may not be. The only way to know is to take a gravity reading. And in a week, take another. If they are the same, and at a reasonable SG, it's probably safe to bottle. Taking the reading is certainly not "pointless"- it's THE thing to do.

If the cider is clear, without any lees dropping over at least 60 days, it is probably ok to bottle without gravity readings. But even then, taking at least one reading would save the risk of bottle bombs.
What are lees?

Latest posts

Back