Protein rest with an Igloo container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BittererPlease

Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgian Wit tomorrow morning and I need to do a protein rest. I usually brew American style ales, so this will be my first protein rest. I use an Igloo container for my mash tun. What is the best way to increse the temp of the mash in one of these puppies? Should I put in 180 degree water in after the 20 minute 122 degree protein rest. I am aiming for 154 degrees. Should I keep the mash during the protein rest a little dry so I don't over hydrate when I add in the 180 water? Use equal amounts of water for both?

Thanks

What software, if any, are you using? All of them will help calculate the temps of the infusion based on your grainbill.

I do not use software.
I think i am just going to pitch some hot water in after the 20 minute protein rest, I just don't want there to be too much water. I could just use less water at a hotter temp, perhaps a gallon at 190 degrees, then adjust if it becomes too hot or too cold.

I am doing a protein rest because the grain bill is 60 percent wheat, some of which being unmalted wheat. I thought the protein rest would be beneficial.

According to Sacch, Celis does a protein rest... so it seems like it might be good practice or traditional.

Your options are either to add hot water or pull decoctions. Palmer's How to Brew has all the calculations you'll need to do it by hand, but the Green Bay Rackers has a handy calculator to help:
Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators

I did a Wit the other day with 50% torrified wheat and got like 56% eff or some ****. I am doing a protein rest next time.

I used a calculator, I think that I'll do 7.4 quarts at 137 degrees, which will rest at 122 hopefully, then 7.7 quarts at 188 so it rests at 152ish. That will result in about 1.45 q/lb, which will leave me some room to adjust.

I do a step mash, 122*F at 0.9 qt/lb and infuse to 154*F at 1.8 qt/lb. The step is about ~200*F water, just off of a boil, as I recall thought I'm away from home so I don't have my note handy. BeerSmith does a decent job of calculating the infusion volume and temp, doing it by hand is hit or miss because the amount of heat absorbed by the cooler is not easy to determine. I would avoid decocting since that will produce additional melanoidins which you definitely do not want in a Wit.

Back