Proper Ventilation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Presbrewterian Pastor

Man’s sweat + God’s love = Beer
Reaction score
I'm going to be converting part of my basement (20x20ish) for brewing. I'll only be using a 10.5 gal Anvil Foundry for the boil, unless I'm using an induction plate to do some small batch test brews. I don't want to spend any more $$ then I have to for ventilation. Any recommendations?

Since the Foundry is an electric system you don't need any ventilation for safety that you would for gas. Ventilation would just be for the smells so if a window or vent hood for a stove is available that should work. Another idea that might help is a portable room air purifier or UV light possibly.

You'll be pumping 1-2 gallons of steam into the room, so you need to vent that. Adding more moisture to a basement usually isn't a good idea.

Is there a window or a door close to your station? The solution could be as easy as a fan in the window.

There are several recent threads on ventilation and brewery builds if you search a little. Lots of examples of airflow requirements and condensation.

There are also steam condenser lids/hoods, but they are probably a more expensive option.

Must vent the steam somehow otherwise room will quickly fill up with steam/condensation leading to future mold?

Possible to open a window? If a window is nearby, put a fan in the window blowing outward.

If no window, possible to install a vent. Even a bathroom vent is better than no vent.

Must vent the steam somehow otherwise room will quickly fill up with steam/condensation leading to future mold?

Possible to open a window? If a window is nearby, put a fan in the window blowing outward.

If no window, possible to install a vent. Even a bathroom vent is better than no vent.
[/QUOTe
You'll be pumping 1-2 gallons of steam into the room, so you need to vent that. Adding more moisture to a basement usually isn't a good idea.

Is there a window or a door close to your station? The solution could be as easy as a fan in the window.

There are several recent threads on ventilation and brewery builds if you search a little. Lots of examples of airflow requirements and condensation.

There are also steam condenser lids/hoods, but they are probably a more expensive option.
No door or window. Since I'm just boiling with a single vessel I would think I could get by with a kitchen range sized hood, but would be happy to invest a bit more in a good inline fan so I can turn the air over in the room pretty frequently since I'd like that room to double as a place where I can smoke a cigar every now and then. I've never done this before, so if I'm overlooking something obvious feel free to set me straight. I'll check out the other threads as well. Thanks!

When I boil a malt for a yeast starter on an induction burner in my brewery I run the condensate fan. Otherwise, steam quickly builds. What is a yeast starter? A few cups of water.

Don't waste good money on a kitchen range hood. Not enough draw.

A steam condenser is easy and relatively inexpensive. You can cut a hole in your lid instead of your house.

Is there an exterior wall you could put a hole in for ventilation? I added one of these fans(~$70) that works fairly well and cut a 6 inch hole outside with a dryer vent connection.

I did make a hood out of HDPE (~$60, have it in a previous post of mine) that has worked well. Have not tried to smoke a cigar in there yet but would probably need to sit directly under the hood. I do leave a door open to my brewery to provide makeup air.

One thing to keep in mind is condensate will drip down the sides of any hood you have, so being able to catch that with some j-channel plastic (which I did) or something at the bottom of the hood is key. Otherwise, you will be wiping up drips of condensate for most of the boil time.

Cheers!

A steam condenser is easy and relatively inexpensive. You can cut a hole in your lid instead of your house.
I think I'm heading in this direction. Just started another thread on that topic in another forum. What do you use for a condenser?

I use a steam slayer as well. You will need access to a water line,and a drain. I use a bucket to dump my waste water in from the steam slayer. Humidity does rise in the basement by about 2%.

Would love to see a pic of your set up next time you’re brewing. Any downside to steam slayer?
Very little downside to using a condenser. You will use 6-10 gallons of water during a 1 hour boil. Some users complain about an unpleasant odor, but I don't think it's any worse than boiling wort without a condenser. I think it is the best option; no noise and no steam, and best of all, short money compared to most of the other options. Best of all, you'll use less power and have less boil-off and heat stress on your wort.

Would love to see a pic of your set up next time you’re brewing. Any downside to steam slayer?
I got the attachment for a hose barb, basically the water line for your refrigerator water supply. 8257DEEE-0744-4A16-885B-E369464BF307.jpeg
Here, I have it all hooked up. Brewing a sweet stout ( Receipe from Brewing classic styles). I use 5 gal buckets for the waste water, then I dump down my sink with cold water ( sump pump is only rated for 90F water) I use the buckets because I do not have the length of hose needed to go to my floor drain.36F1316B-8165-4FD1-BFF2-305D8C0462AF.jpeg

I have been using the steam slayer for about 8 months now. It has taken some time to adjust my system( new to electric brewing as well as the steam slayer). To keep my boil going, I have my element set at 20% power. I am still tweaking it, a little here and little there. I beleive I go through about 6 1/2 gallons of water ( I’m using a 6gph nozzle) the other 1/2 gal is my boil off. I have not actually measured my waste water, so I am just guessing. So far I do enjoy it very much, so quite.

Thanks! Definitely going this route. Cheers!

Brewhardware.com helped me out with all the questions I had.I did forget to mention,you can mount the 1 1/2” Opening either in the side of the kettle, or lid. I chose to have it on the side ( I sent my kettle back to spike to have them put the port in for me), @Bobby_M Could help you out with this as well.

Back