Priming with honey - math issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-tastic

Reaction score
So, the Kolsch recipe i'm using provided 1 cup of dextrose. when i used the priming sugar calc on Northern Brewer (http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/), it recommended for a Kolsch to use 3/4 cups of dextrose.

That would be all well and good, except i'm using honey to prime, so i'm looking at the math and i either use 1/2 cup (going by northern brewer) or 3/4 if i go by the amount of dextrose they gave me and do the conversion.

I'm basically trying to prevent bottle bombs, as my wife will be watching the beer for me while i'm out of town for a few days :)

suggestions?

Personally, that seems backwards. Dextrose shoudl have close to 45 points of sugar per pound (ie 1 lb of dextrose with enough water for 1 gallon of liquid has a gravity of 1.045 on the hydrometer).

Honey has about 35 points per pound (again, 1 pound of honey with enough water for 1 gallon = 1.035). Thus Honey has LESS sugars available for carbonation than dextrose, not more. Most recipes(5 gal) call for about 5 oz (3/4 cup) of 'sugar' for carbonation. In this case, using honey, you should use about 1 cup (about 6 oz by weight)

I don't know if Kolsch is supposed to have more CO2 or not if it is, then more honey. As for carbing with honey, if you want a honey flavor, this usually won't do it.

i don't have a very accurate scale to go by weight, but it is on the list of things to get for brewing!

Thanks for all the info. It seems like the math is weird to me as well, because honey would seem to have less sugar by weight, but not by volume i guess.

If i can figure out how to get it by weight, i'll use the 6oz. I'm not going for a honey flavor, but i'd like the honey aroma if its possible. I have some raw local honey that should be a nice note in a light beer, if it works. we'll see!

Back