Priming sugar Q's - Bottling a 6er & kegging the rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srl135

Reaction score
So i've searched everywhere and found TONS of info about it, but unfortunately there are tons of different opinins. Heres the deal.. im doing an IPA, and i usually keg all my beers. I have a few guys at work that may want a bottle, so I'd like to bottle a 6 pack of these.. but im scratching my head at the aspect of priming sugar. So the questions are...
1. What kind of sugar? I have corn sugar at home, but would hate to tear into that bag for just a couple teaspoons, the recipe calls out light brown sugar, and the LHBS suggested table sugar. Is table sugar just regular old white sugar?
2. Diluting with water necessary? Some say yes, some say no... wouldnt the alcohol that already exists kill the nasties that might try to eff my beer? I mean the IPA should be reasonably strong anyways...
3. If diluting with water is necessary, how much sugar & water is needed per bottle? Would that ratio change depending on the type of sugar being used?
4. If just adding to the (12oz) bottle directly, how much sugar? Ive heard 1tsp, and 1/2tsp.
5. Should I just quit debating and go with Coopers drops? I have heard some mixed reviews on these, wouldnt wanna ruin em by taking the easy route if its not a good idea.

Thanks in advance for the help and I already know im going to get several different opinions! LOL At least my Texas Bock will be ready to drink when the time comes for me to screw around with this.

the carb tabs do ok. table sugar is just white sugar, but i'm not sure on the amounts. do a search on priming sugar calculator and see what you find, i bet there's one out there that can tell you exactly what you're looking for

Ive used carb tabs and table sugar for bottling with decent results. Your point about your IPA being strong enought to kill any nastys may be true, but if using table sugar, I would opt to dilute it in water and heat it before dropping in your bottles.

Another thought, If you are kegging anyway, why not keg it and carb it up and then bottle from the keg. I do that all the time. You dont necessarilly have to use a beer gun to do it right.

Ive used carb tabs and table sugar for bottling with decent results. Your point about your IPA being strong enought to kill any nastys may be true, but if using table sugar, I would opt to dilute it in water and heat it before dropping in your bottles.

Another thought, If you are kegging anyway, why not keg it and carb it up and then bottle from the keg. I do that all the time. You dont necessarilly have to use a beer gun to do it right.

That thought crossed my mind, but if i give someone a bottle and they leave it sit for awhile, i would like to KNOW that it will have plenty of carbonation when they pop the top.

What ratio of sugar to water do you use? Any preference between the sugar and tabs?

That thought crossed my mind, but if i give someone a bottle and they leave it sit for awhile, i would like to KNOW that it will have plenty of carbonation when they pop the top.

What ratio of sugar to water do you use? Any preference between the sugar and tabs?

I had bottles sit for a month with no problems with carbonation that way. Though I dont use a beer gun, I do take care to limit the O2 in the bottles by filling from the bottom using a bottling wand, and small cork attached to a party tap. I fill at about 5lbs of pressure. There is a thread around here that give good examples of how to do it.

I like the tabs because they are easy to use. With sugar I put just enough water to dilute it, nothing fancy. I pop it in the microwave and heat it up, not always to boiling, which may be wrong, but it makes me feel better. Just hoping I have killed anything sitting in the sugar. That said, I don't do this much anymore, kegging more or less ended my desire to bottle condition.

I had bottles sit for a month with no problems with carbonation that way. Though I dont use a beer gun, I do take care to limit the O2 in the bottles by filling from the bottom using a bottling wand, and small cork attached to a party tap. I fill at about 5lbs of pressure. There is a thread around here that give good examples of how to do it.

I like the tabs because they are easy to use. With sugar I put just enough water to dilute it, nothing fancy. I pop it in the microwave and heat it up, not always to boiling, which may be wrong, but it makes me feel better. Just hoping I have killed anything sitting in the sugar.

Back