Priming sugar for boosting alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musiqluv

Reaction score
I started out brewing with kits but I happened to have access to a kegerator so I never used the included bottling sugar for priming. I have a couple pounds of it left over and was thinking about adding it to the end of the boil in hopes of boosting alcohol in like a belgian golden. Would this type of sugar work and is adding it at the end of the boil a good idea? :mug:

It will work - you just don't want to add too much.

Dextrose ferments completely, and can lead to a cider taste if you over do it.

Great, thank you for the quick reply, I will research some appropriate amounts to use for my 2.5 gallon "system". Thanks.

It depends on the style of beer as well. Often, some IPAs that want to get to a dry finish will add 1lb of dextrose to a 5-gallon batch.

Belgian beers rely on invert sugar to get flavor and character. Corn sugar will result in a very dry tasteless finish. Very different roads, but both well traveled. I use dextrose to leave my DIPA dry like a witches teat. My house special reserve relies on invert sugar and lots of light DME to boost gravity.

Back