Primary Fermentation Lager Wrong temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
So I was in my basement this morning checking on the German Pilsner I brewed 12/8 and looked at my thermometer that has been reading a steady 52 degrees. I noticed the battery light was blinking so I changed the battery and now it is reading that my basement is 63 degrees. So I fear that the Pilsner has been sitting at the wrong temp this whole time. Did this mess with it? I used Saflager 34/70 yeast.

I am hopefully finishing my 2 fermentation cabinets tonight. Was planning on having these ready for when I move to secondary and lower the temp to lager.

Any help out there ?

the high end for that yeast is 59 degrees so it's not like it was up in the 70-80 degree mark.

So 63 degrees is not too horrible. I racked to secondary this morning and did a quick taste test and it tasted good. Got it in a keg in fridge @ 43 now.

Just give it a taste. It may require a bit longer of a lager phase, but, I sincerely doubt it will be a dumper.

Cheers!

Edit: just noticed you had tasted it. You're in the clear.

Back