Primary Fermentation Complete - Tastes Watery :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBottle

Reaction score
Hey All - So my primary fermentation is complete. I took a test drink of it and was rather disappointed. It was very clear but also pretty bland and watery.

Will secondary fermentation correct this? Is this normal?

Thank you!

Racking to a second vessel will do NOTHING for you. Bottle it when its ready and try it once carbonated. Carbonation (to the correct level) will transform the beer.

If I plan on back sweetening to give it some more flavor, would a secondary fermentation be needed to keep the alcohol content at around 5 -6 %?

Also after a few months I find some of the appley flavor comes back, but I brew all my ciders with black tea for extra tannin.

As agent44 touched on, this is the result of making a cider from dessert apples. Once fermented, these one dimensional apples loose all character and become bland cider. Adding tannin (as mentioned) and malic acid should help revive the cider along with aging.

As agent44 touched on, this is the result of making a cider from dessert apples. Once fermented, these one dimensional apples loose all character and become bland cider. Adding tannin (as mentioned) and malic acid should help revive the cider along with aging.

And here I thought I was doing the right thing by getting fresh cider from a local orchard :) Thanks for the information.

Can I add the malic acid at any time or would it be best to do it during secondary ferment or bottling?

And here I thought I was doing the right thing by getting fresh cider from a local orchard :) Thanks for the information.

Can I add the malic acid at any time or would it be best to do it during secondary ferment or bottling?

You were doing the best thing........depending on the mix of apples used for pressing. Next time ask what varieties were used, ideally you want a nice mix of tart and sweet. If the varieties all tend to the sweet side you can compensate by adding tannins and acids. Unfortunately most commercial growers raise eating varieties unless they specialize in cider making.

You were doing the best thing........depending on the mix of apples used for pressing. Next time ask what varieties were used, ideally you want a nice mix of tart and sweet. If the varieties all tend to the sweet side you can compensate by adding tannins and acids. Unfortunately most commercial growers raise eating varieties unless they specialize in cider making.

I've heard of people using black tea for extra tannins. When and how do you add this? Just toss a couple of bags in the primary? Or brew separately and add later?

I usually add the tea into my primary must/cider, I brew a strong tee and at this point if I'm adding sugar to bump the abv I dissolve my sugar into it. For my raspberry cider. Added five red rose tea bags and five raspberry zinger....turned out nice. But usually go one tea bag per gallon. I made mistake in my first batch floating the bags in the primary and it added an off flavour of bitterness.

agent44 said:
I usually add the tea into my primary must/cider, I brew a strong tee and at this point if I'm adding sugar to bump the abv I dissolve my sugar into it. For my raspberry cider. Added five red rose tea bags and five raspberry zinger....turned out nice. But usually go one tea bag per gallon. I made mistake in my first batch floating the bags in the primary and it added an off flavour of bitterness.

I want to try this but with 1 gal carboys I'm concerned about topping off too much. How much extra liquid would the tea add to a gallon? Or I guess I should ask do you brew your tea with the least amount of water need?

Back