Primary carboy explosion...what went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eurc51

Reaction score
Well, I think I know what went wrong, but I'm not sure how I could have prevented it. Also, this was not my first beer or my first big beer - I've dealt with blow-off before. The explosion occured 24 hours after starting the primary - it was an Imperial Stout.

So, got the stopper and airlock on and fortunately, put the primary in the basement (cement floor). I came back down before bed to check on it. It looked great, a nice creamy head was beginning to form. This morning, I came down to find foam seaping through the airlock. But, I also heard a whistling noise. I sanitized my blow-off tube and got a bucket ready. When I removed the airlock (which was nearly out anyway), I heard a bang and then watched half of my beer hit the ceiling in an Old Faithful-like eruption.

Before I started my 3 hour cleanup, I looked at the airlock and it appeared to be clogged with yeast, hops, etc.

So, I'm guessing the probem was the clogged airlock, but how could I have known - the whistling sound? And, I could have very well have been sleeping when this occurred. Could I have prevented the explosion - maybe by clearing the clock with the stopper still in?

Thoughts?

Eurc51 (p.s. I'm going to try to keep the beer - get it into a small secondary soon)

Blow off tube right away, why wait?
I always use them, except for my bigger carboys when i have a gallon and a half of head space.

I use blowoff tubes even in my 6.5 gal carboys. And it has been utilized many times. I usually take them off after 4-5 days because a basic airlock is easier to use when moving the carboy etc.
I have even had a blow off tube get blocked with hop crud and stain my ceiling. Bigger the tube, the better.

I'd say the cause was the clog, which lead to the carboy building up pressure. Eventually it would have blown the stopper, but with more stored pressure and a larger boom-boom. So, when you remover the airlock, it erupted releasing the pressure.

If you plan to do this beer again, I'd suggest getting a stopper with a larger hole in the center (say 1/2" to 3/4") and use a larger diameter tubing for the overflow. This will help prevent a clog and allow for more gas to escape at one time, meaning less built up pressure and no more boom-boom.

I've heard an airlock whistle before, it was also spraying wort all over. I just pulled the airlock & stopper out and placed a pint glass over the top. Sounds like you had enough pressure built up, though, that it probably would have launched the pint!

It's a good idea to rig blow-off tubes for big beers. You may not need it, but when you do ...

Same thing just happened to my brew. According to a soft sleeping roommate the explosion happened at about 4 in the morning. Plug was clogged and nothing could even get to the blowoff tube. I lost nearly a third of the beer and it was exposed to air for a few hours. I'm hoping leaving it in the primary longer will take care of any problems. How did your brew turn out?

I think the term you are looking for is eruption. I've heard of a carboy eploding due to weak spots in the glass from use over time.

A carboy eruption sucks. A carboy explosion.... That is, i'm sure, a horrible scenario.

Back