Primary and d rest lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
If I am going to do a d rest since I started warm (60) and then chilled to 51 for fermentation, would I raise it to about 61 for a few days right near the end of active fermentation then drop it back down to 51 until I transfer to the keg to lager? ( transfer will be in about 2 weeks, currently it is on day 8 in the primary) or since I am leaving it in the primary for the 3-4 weeks will the yeast clean up dyactal without the warm up and just leaving it at 51 until I transfer to the keg?

Depending on yeast strain you may need a d rest. I'd read the yeast manufacturers recommended temp range and description. Raising the temp just allows the yeast activity to increase which means it has a little more energy to complete the process. But it's more about timing than activity. You will want to be within a few degrees Plato from your final gravity. The yeast cleaning up is a function of them reabsorbing things from the wort to prepare for longer term yeast health and life. The yeast does it because it helps them survive without sugars to eat. We are just the beneficiary of their process.

So you can raise the temp into the mid to high 50's as you complete fermentation for a few days to help the yeast get ready for the end of fermentation. Then slowly drop your temps to lager temps.

I started a thread yesterday about when to start a diacetyl rest. Theres many opinions on the subject with no real answer.....

Back