Pressure for a Quad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Belgian Quad on tap. It taps "ok" but seems like all the head is very initial, and then the beer is mostly flat. Would a pressure change help? Increase or decrease? or is this a head retention-fix-the-recipe thing? It's been on tap for a month, so even at ambient pressure, I should think would have "force carbed" about as much as it ever well, at least to the current pressure. Current pressure was around 4psi

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I like large belgians carbed up to 2.5 to 3 volumes. Im generally in the just pils malt and dark candi syrup school of thought on quads though. I dont know your set up/line diameter/line length/ temp, but 4 psi seems low to force carb at on my set up.

It could also be a process issue as well if you arent getting huge head retention. Its a 1.090ish beer with mostly continental pils malt. You should be getting a huge rocky head and a ton of lacing.

4 psi? At what temperature?

Beer being held at, say, 40°F and 4 psi would eventually equilibrate at 1.74 volumes of CO2, which is a little below the bottom of the range for a quad.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

You have another ~ 0.8 volumes of upwards range on the carbonation for the style. Use the chart, dial your pressure to what you think you're looking for (and adjusting for your actual beer temperature) and give it a few days to reach that new carbonation level before judging.

And, yes, head retention is more chemistry than physics, but you didn't give us much to go on there...

Cheers!

Back