Pressure canning wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lot of talk about boiling jars first, boiling wort first, lot of extra work. It all gets up to 250 in the canner. I mix up the wort with DME cold. Seems like it doesn't clump as bad doing it cold. Then just put the cold wort in jars. Once everything's in the canner, you have to let it start steaming out the vent until all the air is purged out and it's all steam coming out. Then you cap it and let it start building pressure. Once you get to 15 PSI, that's when you start the timer. I usually do 15 minutes. I've kept jars at room temp for YEARS and it's just as good as the day I made it. It takes about a minute and a half to do a starter. Just sanitize a flask, pop and dump in a jar or two, add the yeast and it's off and running!

I'll second this in that it works just fine, I have however gone back to preboiling the wort - but only to reduce the amount of trub I get in the jars and maximize the amount of wort I have available. It doesn't eliminate it, but I do seem to end up with half as much trub canned. I don't like adding trub when stepping up of slants because it's harder to see the yeast when the levels are so small

Downside is it's more work up front. So you may find it preferable or effective to use the time to can more wort than making cleaner wort. The yeast will be happy either way.

It IS a good point that there is some trub in the jar when I'm done. When I did an all-grain canning session, the break was absolutely INSANE in there. Big protein webs of crap clinging to everything. Using DME is pretty typical to have a small amount in the bottom. It's pretty easy to decant the clear wort off until the trub gets to the neck of the jar.
My roommate and I were discussing this as I wrote my response last night and we remembered that there's a filter that fits in the funnel that I'll probably use going forward. I just got my microscope so who knows, I may be trying to minimize that break material as much as possible.

It's not hard to decant, especially if you're careful to not disturb, but I was using multiple jars to build starters up for 15 gallon batches, and was trying to maximize the amount i could get from each one.

For the first step off a slant it didn't matter since I was throwing half a pint away anyways.

Latest posts

Back