Preparing for Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jm2k

Reaction score
Pretty new to brewing, have only done a few IPAs until now and I'd like to do a back-to-back brew starting this weekend for an Oktoberfest party. I'm thinking a Hefeweizen and a Dunkweizen to suit a range of tastes, so I ordered some ingredients from my LHBS. Based on what I've ordered, my intended recipes are (both to go into 19L kegs):

Hefeweizen
2.5 kg — Gladfield Wheat Malt
2 kg — Gladfield Pilsner Malt
500 g — Gladfield Munich Malt
250 g — Briess Rice Hulls
50 g — Hallertauer Mittelfrueh
Fermentis WB-06 Safbrew Wheat

Dunkelweizen
2.5 kg (47.6%) — Gladfield Wheat Malt
2 kg (38.1%) — Gladfield Munich Malt
400 g (7.6%) — Gladfield Medium Crystal Malt
100 g (1.9%) — Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt
250 g — Briess Rice Hulls
50 g — Hallertauer Mittelfrueh
Fermentis WB-06 Safbrew Wheat

Do those look reasonable? On top the above I have another 2.5 kg munich & 3 kg pilsner that I can play with. The one I'm unsure of is the dunkweizen. I couldn't order dark wheat malt from that particular store, but thought bumping up the crystal + getting some some chocolate would do the trick, but I don't want to have the taste get too out of hand.

From what I've read, WB-06 is a Diastaticus yeast - not really what you want for hefe or Dunkelweizen. I haven't used it, so hopefully others will chime in. There could also be some bottle bomb possibility if you bottle condition. I like Danstar Munich Classic Wheat Yeast.

For the hefe, I personally would skip the Munich malt - fill in with the other two. I like the yeast character to be the star of the show.

Welcome to HBT.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I'll switch out the munich as you suggested.
The comment on the yeast I also saw elsewhere, though with others saying they do get fine results. I ended up choosing to give it a shot. I'll be carbonating it in a keg.

Latest posts

Back