Potassium sorbate good or bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjacobs

Reaction score
Ok so i have seen alot of mixed answers about this topic is potassium sorbate going to hurt my cider. Now i know i made 2 very good batches of hard cider at 7% out of store bought apple juice with potassium sorbate in it after being told that its just vitamin c and is not harmfull. What is yall opinion on potassium sorbate and has anyone run into problems with it.

do you mean for health? cause I am curious about that too, as for fermentation I have read to much where people have had no problem with additives. A cider made from strongly sorbated juice might be different, but I know yeast is a hearty lot surely.

I mistakenly started a batch of cider with juice that had K+ sorbate in it. I started to throw it out when it didn't start fermentation, then I found a comment by an older hand at brewing, so I tried it. What you have to do is treat it with plain bread yeast. Potassium sorbate interferes with the yeast's reproduction cycle. Apparently bread yeast is more resistant to it than brewer's yeast. Mine started fermentation after I added the bread yeast. It was slow, not like the churning fermentation I'd expect from say, champagne yeast, but it was steady. That lasted at least three weeks. Then I put in some more brewer's yeast. The fermentation continued, still fairly slowly, for another three weeks. I think It's almost ready to bottle. The bread yeast will chug through the K+ sorbate, which gets weaker in its ability to affect the yeast--- at least that's how it seems. It can be done, but it's S-L-O-W.

I mistakenly started a batch of cider with juice that had K+ sorbate in it. I started to throw it out when it didn't start fermentation, then I found a comment by an older hand at brewing, so I tried it. What you have to do is treat it with plain bread yeast. Potassium sorbate interferes with the yeast's reproduction cycle. Apparently bread yeast is more resistant to it than brewer's yeast. Mine started fermentation after I added the bread yeast. It was slow, not like the churning fermentation I'd expect from say, champagne yeast, but it was steady. That lasted at least three weeks. Then I put in some more brewer's yeast. The fermentation continued, still fairly slowly, for another three weeks. I think It's almost ready to bottle. The bread yeast will chug through the K+ sorbate, which gets weaker in its ability to affect the yeast--- at least that's how it seems. It can be done, but it's S-L-O-W.
Yeah, it can be done, but does it produce a quality cider?

I think you can ferment sorbated juice okay if you pitch a massive amount of yeast. I read somewhere that sorbate doesn't kill the yeast, it just prevents it from reproducing. I would use the entire slurry from a batch of beer.

I don't use sorbate, as it has a bitter taste I don't like; and yes, I can taste it in white wine at recommended the recommended amount. I like my wine/mead/cider fairly dry, so I really have no use for it anyway.
Regards, GF.

Back