I Lost The Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
Ok here is a very good reason to keep your notes very safe. Last year I was experimenting with some ciders. Just a homebrew experiment, nothing fancy. I used everyday good old apple juice and a store bought cider.
Apple Juice used: Motts and Martinellis (organic)
Cider Used: Motts and Martinellis.
(1) Gallon brews
Yeast
(1) batch: Regular bread yeast
(1) Batch: Cider House Select
(1) Batch: Lalvin 71B
So here was the thing, everything was brewed the same length of time (close anyway) but one of these was Pasteurized. Now the reason I mention this is because one of these ciders came out tasting almost like an apple pie moonshine. It was a very high ABV because .. well because we drank it and got a pretty decent hit lol. (grandpa enjoyed it as well. Not sure if the pasteurization can make a flavor change that drastic or not but somehow one of these ciders came out so crazy good that everyone was trying to get more of it.
Now I am trying like crazy to figure out which one it was.
Guess I will be recreating. I'm going to do 1.2 gallon batches so I can run these in various ways to see which combination led to this result.

ALWAYS SAVE NOTES AND LABEL BOTTLES :D

Last edited:
One of the keys to improving in this hobby is taking good notes, then making changes in the future. Just have to figure out what works for you. I use that blue painters tape that is easy to peel off to label bottles.

Back