Possible Oxidation in the Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breweski15

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a what im guessing to be a stupid question. I just brewed my first brew last week, a Amber Ale from a kit that I received from beer-wine.com. Things went well I believe in the primary as it was showing good signs. While transporting it from the primary to the secondary for whatever reason we didn't fill the secondary up to the top. I was reading last night after a few hours that we did this and noticed that its recommended to have the beer be at least 1 inch from the stopper while in the carboy. Unfortunatly mine is probally about 80% or so full (about up to the line that is right before it goes into the "funnel shape") and I read that oxidation could occur since of the such large open space. Will this effect the outcome? If so would it harm the beer? Is there anything I can do to decrease this currently? Any other advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No problem!

I don't know where you read that. The beer should still ferment a little bit which will push out any O2 anyways.

Bubbles are the enemy. If you sloshed it horribly going into the secondary, that might be a problem.

Oxidation really doesn't show up very early if it is moderate. You will have consumed that batch long before it would oxidize if you have sloshed it.

Thanks guys, I figured that would be the case but you can never be too sure!

Breweski15 said:
Thanks guys, I figured that would be the case but you can never be too sure!

Actually, you're having the most common symptom of the first batch brewer..."Obsessive N00bitus."

You forget the motto of the brewer....RDWHAHB!!

It's really hard to ruin beer.....

The best cure for n00bitus is to brew another batch asap, so you won't obsess over every little thing, you have ever read or heard over this batch...

Welcome to the world of Brewing! :D

Latest posts

Back