Porter question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire

Reaction score
I got a Porter recipe- Portlands Haystack Black Porter- brewed and in the primary on 2/13. My recipe called for 5-10 days in the primary, then transfer to the secondary for 1-3 weeks. I decided to just leave it in the primary....it's been there since 2/13 undisturbed. I was planning on bottling on 3/19. Any opinions....should i leave it longer? Can you leave it on the yeast too long?

Thanks!

I would taste it at 4 weeks on the yeast to see where it's at. If it's not what you consider 'ready' then give it another week and repeat... Wouldn't be a bad idea to use the sample and take hydrometer readings (or take the reading then taste the sample)...

I don't see any issue with leaving the brew on the yeast for that long. But, as I mentioned, I would check on it after 4 weeks on the yeast just to see where it's at... You can always leave it on longer, or pull it off sooner... Without tasting, you're flying a bit blind.

Back