Amber Malt vs Brown Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I registered my Atonement Brown Porter for a local competition before learning that my LHBS is out of brown malt. The recipe has not changed for 12 or 13 years. It calls for 2.5lbs of brown malt which is 24% of the grist.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/atonement-brown-porter-2011-hbt-gold-category-12.238714/
So it looks like the best substitute available tomorrow is amber malt, which I have never used before. Casual research seems like it won’t make a huge difference but I am nervous, especially for a competition since I rarely enter them anymore.

Opinions and experience with this malt?

Personally, I don't think Amber malt is a good sub for brown malt. It might make a great beer, but not the same. I believe it is more biscuit forward than roast.

I've used Breiss Special Roast as a sub for brown in my Porter before, and it was kinda close. Personal preference maybe, but I was satisfied with the Porter. I use about half the roast malt you use, but again personal preference. It looks like you've been brewing this one awhile.

If feasible, consider making a phone call to the next nearest LHBS and have a mini-field trip if you find the brown malt. Good luck!

That’s about 21 litres so 250g of black malt seems excessive. Consider reducing it to 3 oz (80g) and replacing the balance with Chocolate malt. With that much black malt it’s irrelevant whether you use brown or Amber or even pale male.
I don’t see the need. I’ve been brewing this recipe for 13 years and have won competitions with it.

I don’t see the need. I’ve been brewing this recipe for 13 years and have won competitions with it.

Agree.

If you change too many things and your score changes (for better or worse) it will be hard to pin down which variable was responsible.

Sub the amber for the brown and see what you get. If they ding the score you'll know to get brown next time. If the score goes up, you've just discovered an improvement.

I don't think that amount of black malt is too much either, but I really like the taste. Also very similar to chocolate malt in my opinion. I second toasting malt yourself though. I prefer my own brown malt over TF brown malt.

So I did ultimately brew it with the amber malt. I have some time should I decide I don’t want to enter this version. I wouldn’t be thrilled about having two batches of a similar beer at the same time, but oh well.

Back