portable keg cooler / sanke kegging q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRL

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So ive been tossing the idea of building a small portable keg cooler

I looked at doing a jockey box but a couple things are steering me away....
like outside temps in the sun, cost of coils ect...

Odds are the keg wont be entirely empty in one sitting outside and I would like to throw it back in my home kegerator / fridge until the next time im outside.

I currently have a 5gal sanke D keg that I want to use for this...

The challenge for me right now is actually finding a proper cooler that will fit it!

ive seen a few people buy one of those massive coffin coolers which are like 120-150 bucks and just tilt it upwards when their ready to have it stationary... few things though is, the ice would melt and leak by the lid unless sealed, larger area space needing more ice and more space to cool....

I saw another one on youtube which the guy used 2 of those home depot 10 gal water coolers and cut the bottom out of one and stacked them then welded them... which seems like it would be the best route over all considering it has tighter clearances and keeps the beer and everything "upright"

For transportation though... won't I see any foaming issues considering most of the time you would tap the keg after transporting it around... I know the goal would be to have the least amount of movement and shaking but it does happen...

I would plan on just using a paintball 20oz c02 tank with a small regulator and serving using a picnick tap with the usual needed beer line length... odds are id leave the beer line tap hose through the keg so it can "extend" and be pushed back in when not in use.. some cooling will be lost but I would imagine it would be minimal and much less then opening the lid every time to access the tap

just shopped around a bit and looks like even the 10gal coolers here are in the 80-100 range... next cheapest solution would be insulating a garbage can of some sort ugh always something

There are a bunch of examples of relative cheap portable igloo kegerators below. I built one almost identical to the white one on page 2 except I made a nice stand alone faucet built into a wooden stand (to place on a table when pouring). I used a 20oz paintball for gas and used a bicycle water bottle holder to hang it in the rear of the kegerator. I had an extra CO2 regulator laying around so I just bought a $20 adapter to fit it on the paintball can. It'll hold ice and keep my beer cold all weekend. I usually have to let the keg sit for an hour or so to let the beer settle after I get to my destination.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=172047

thanks for the response!

I did a crap ton of searching and still managed to miss that thread!

waiting an hour isnt too bad.. most of the time I can just hijack some beers from my buds or pack a 4 pack while waiting.

well after doing some shopping.... those 70 qt coolers are not cheap here... about 80bucks + then another 30 for the top piece.... guess ill do the 2 stacked 5 gal coolers and rig up some wheels for well under 80 total.

adds up fast esp considering Ill need a whole separate tap / reg set for the portakeg

Since this is tag sale season, troll the neighborhoods for a used cooler or ask friends/family if they are looking to replace an old cooler.

Also for the coils consider upgrading your wort cooler and use your existing for your chiller.

On CL, I picked up a cooler, tap (with a tall Budweiser handle...now taped over), plate cooler, regulator, a 15# and 20# CO2 bottle for $125 cash.

thats a solid deal! I thought about seeing for used coolers but most of the time people either ask way to much or there's a reason their getting rid of them... Would be more of a loss if the cooler is no longer holding the cold much.

yea i asked a few friends already, most of the time when they buy new coolers its for a good reason, I also almost rather go new so I know the cooler will keep things cold for longer vs a worn out older cooler thats lost its ability to keep cold properly.

as long as the stacked 5gal coolers offer me enough room for decent amount of ice and to be able to coil my 6ft beer lines ill be pretty happy

I saw the post that one person did and there is a video on youtube of a person building it.. doesnt seem to bad... however very minimal ice space but the one upside is... less cooling space the less ice you need... definitely wouldnt throw in a warm keg in that as you would eat through ice for a while before getting cold

You don't need the keg to be inside if you have the cooling coils/plate. Mine is a 25 quart cooler and it works fine on a 90 degree day at the beach. I just cover and/or bury the keg.

yea, but doesnt the beer skunk if left out in the heat / sun... also figured it would be much easier to lug around 1 sealed unit vs having 2-3 detached parts to lug around.

Shopping around though it seems like its just as expensive building either or...

im at 176 bucks shipped to my door for a cobra tap kit (hoses for air and beer and fittings), tapwrite regulator and sanke D coupler

then add roughly 60 for both coolers + other nick nacks depending what I do

Back