popcorn flavord bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diacetyl...lots and lots of Diacetyl. Just use a lager yeast, ferment it a little bit warm and take it off the yeast cake as soon as its attenuated.

Popcorn doesn't have much taste itself. It's mostly butter and salt. You're not going to get popcorn texture, which is most of what it contributes.

just looking for that semi buttered popcorn flavor. if an ale would work better can you suggest a strong abv recipe?

I can't suggest a recipe, but Ringwood ale yeast (Wy1187) is known for diacetyl. Also, I think Randy Mosher uses popcorn in one of his Radical brewing recipes, but I'm not sure if it is supposed to taste like buttered popcorn. I'll try to remember to check it when I get home.

Looking up Mosher's recipe, it's actually not a full recipe. He just has a paragraph on Indian Popcorn Ale and basically says air-pop corn and add to mash to add a "dry, crisp texture to an IPA." No amounts given, though he says don't use oil to pop the corn.

Looking up Mosher's recipe, it's actually not a full recipe. He just has a paragraph on Indian Popcorn Ale and basically says air-pop corn and add to mash to add a "dry, crisp texture to an IPA." No amounts given, though he says don't use oil to pop the corn.

That's what I did, although I used it in a cream ale. IIRC, it was about 1 1/2 grocery bags full, which melted down to almost nothing in the mash. I think it was about a lb. before popping.

Latest posts

Back