How much citric acid to reach 3.5 pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushwood Brewing

Cast your bread upon the waters
Reaction score
Given that I used to have "Chemist" in my job title (many years ago!), I'm embarrassed to ask, but:

I'm going to try making hop water for the first time. For food safety, I want to add citric acid to get the pH to around 3.5. I will be starting with my own unfiltered well water.

How much citric acid (in grams or teaspoons) should I add per 1 gallon of water to reach 3.5 pH?

(I know that the starting pH of well water varies, and will affect how much acid to add. I'm just looking for a ballpark amount to get started, and then will adjust as necessary from there using pH strips.)

Thank you in advance.

The short answer is that it depends on your water (and specifically on carbonate species concentrations), so much so that even a ballpark guess is hard to make.

I'd start at 0.1 g/gallon, and adjust by doubling (or if you're in a hurry, quintupling) the concentration repeatedly.

A slightly wacky idea that occurs to me is to get both citric acid and sodium citrate (dihydrate), and dump lots (>>1 g) of each in, in a 2.5:1 ratio. That'll do the trick for pH. You'll taste it, but for hop water that might not be a bad thing.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to pick up a smaller scale that can measure fractions of a gram. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

As mentioned, a bunch of variables mean "it depends". Here's what I just used to make a gallon test batch, if it can help give you a basis of comparison:

1 gal RO water + 0.5 g CaCl2
1.0 g citric acid during the initial boil (before hops) -> pH 3.16
0.2g additional citric acid brought it down to pH 2.98
Performed a dip hop in 2 cups of the boiled water
Mixed and cooled, entire 1 gal batch ph = 3.13

I was targeting pH 2.9 ultimately, and my approach was to err on the low side for taste and food safety purposes. I still missed a touch high, but it tastes great and is well below the pH requirement for food safety.

Thanks. Picked up my scale already. It ended up taking 2.6 grams of citric acid to get me to ~3.5. My pH strips only show 0.5 increments, but from what I read, I think that's good enough for food safety.

Just an update: When I said I used 2.6g/gal above, that was before I steeped the hops. After steeping the hops, the pH rose significantly and I had to add more citric acid to get the pH back down below 3.5. I've done this twice now and settled on 3.4g/gal to reach a pH of <3.5.

Back