Poor belgian head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehause

Reaction score
I have a Belgian that's been aging for about a year now. It's very close to Golden monkey in flavor, but the head retention is very poor. When first poured, the head is fantastic, but dissipates quickly. The beer itself has great carbonation...almost like Champagne.....it keeps going and going, but never forms a head. Now that I think about it, it's exactly like Champagne in how it acts.

Belgians aren't really my thing, I did one just to try it out. Maybe this is normal. I know Golden monkey doesn't hold a good head, but I'm just not sure if this is right or not.

I used WLP029 yeast(I know, not really a Belgian yeast)
5.5 pilsen
5.5 vienna
2 munich
.5 caramunich
.5 caravienne
og 1.065
fg 1.014

Thoughts?:drunk:

With the crystal and base malts I'm surprised there isn't any head retention. What was your mash schedule/temp? Did you do a protein rest, that might have broken down the proteins that help foam stability? What was your hopping? Also, how are you cleaning your glassware, and are there any other factors that might impair head retention like keg lube or oil in your lines?

Standard pilsner brewday.(for me anyway) Single infusion, 90 min mash @154, 90 min boil. Hops were some Tett and Haller. They wouldn't effect retention anyway. Nothing goofy got into it, and ferment was normal low 60's for a week, 60 for 2 weeks, cold crash, on gas for 60 days, then bottled.
I've done tons of brews,(100 or more) but only a couple Belgians. I'm not crazy about the style personally, but have some friends that like it. They all love the taste of this brew, but the lack of head retention was a little odd. When first poured, you need a pint glass for a 12oz and still the head will overflow. Very small tight bubbles that dissipate quickly. Tons of small bubbles continue forever, but burst right away like a soda.

I've done a number of Kolsch's with fine results, this recipe just got goofy for some reason.

Are you certain that your glassware is truly clean? Use any dishwashign detergent or rinse aid in the dishwaser?

Back