Poll: What method do you brew with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What method do you brew?

• Extract (with or without grain)

• Partial Mash

• BIAB

• Full Grain

Results are only viewable after voting.
Partial Mash, I have been using extract till my last batch. I like to use grains and I think this is a good way to see if I can go to an AG.

Yeah, I know that technically BIAB is all grain (well, super technically, they are all all grain in a way), I was thinking more about the process than purely extract vs. all grain.

I only think less of those who brew one way, then lie by saying they brew another way ;)

I am so hardcore:rockin: I make my own extrackt and then use it to BIAB with a 7 vessel structure fully automated 72.6 barrel system and sparge through a dirty sock into a homemade distillation extraction machine and make rocket fuel beer!!:D

Actually, All grain BIAB 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon kettle, but the other sounded really cool.... or not.. :mug:

I am so hardcore:rockin: I make my own extrackt and then use it to BIAB with a 7 vessel structure fully automated 72.6 barrel system and sparge through a dirty sock into a homemade distillation extraction machine and make rocket fuel beer!!:D

Actually, All grain BIAB 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon kettle, but the other sounded really cool.... or not.. :mug:

I'm a All-Grain Mouth Brewer. I just heat up some water to 153F, take a handful of hops, another handful of grains, pop them all in my mouth... swish some hot water around to mix things up, take a straight shot of yeast, snort some CO2 from my bicycle tire inflator for carbonation and BAM, instant beer.

Ya'll are pansies.

evrose said:
I'm a All-Grain Mouth Brewer. I just heat up some water to 153F, take a handful of hops, another handful of grains, pop them all in my mouth... swish some hot water around to mix things up, take a straight shot of yeast, snort some CO2 from my bicycle tire inflator for carbonation and BAM, instant beer.

Ya'll are pansies.

Hahahaaha! Now that is a technique I want to learn. Do you use the manual tire pump or a compressor? : )

I like doing all-grain but I do mostly extract due to time constraints. I can make a great beer with extract though so this isn't always a bad thing.

Extract, works well for me. I am an older brewer 73 years. Therefore, the simpler the better. Modern extracts produce a really nice brew. I can remember the days of bread yeast and canned malt. That really produced some rot gut beer. But it was cheap, and we were young, Lol. Thanks for you attention.

I actually wanted to re-brew my first extract pumpkin porter, but it would cost me 2.5x the all-grain version. Bummed :(

I'm really surprised to see the low amount of partial mash brewers. If I didn't have a good tax return this year I would be partial mashing right now.

Ya'll are pansies.
:drunk:

My hat is off to you sir. I shall return to the mountain-top to study under the masters, when I return, I shall endeavor to man-up and brew with proper aplomb!

:mug:

In other words, this forum is a highly skewed and biased sample of all home brewers. Of course, this is what make it such a great resource. The depth of experience here is amazing.

Certainly appears to be true now with more votes in -- over 66% all grain! I suspect that does not map to the overall brewing population.

I brew Partial Mash because I live in a remote area, most beer ingredients are not available in country so have to be imported. Importing DME and a few pounds of specialty grains is a lot cheaper than shipping many pounds of base grains.

i like a can of malt extract , a lot of muntons nut brown but also others and some partial kits . I like to make the quick cans and sometimes I add in a wort made from a handful of black , honey and chocolate malt and usually some extra sugar for a bit more kick .

Extract with grains for me. I can't see myself ever going full grain, I really like the process I have right now. I can do it all inside, and it takes less time (which means more time for brewing - which means more beer)

I have only ever brewed all grain.

It does make me curious to try an all extract brew some time just to see if I can actually tell the difference and for knowledge of the process.

I'm all grain. I did a few extract batches when I started, but I didn't really enjoy the process until I went all grain. I still enjoyed the product of the extract brewing, but I enjoyed the process more with all grain. Its the same with cooking for me as well. I like my pasta much better when I make the sauce, I like it even more when I make the pasta fresh. I never had any complaints with canned pasta sauce and dry noodles, I just didn't enjoy making it.

My method is BIAB. Based on my limited equipment, whether it is a PM or AG depends on the volume into the fermenter and OG. Normal to high grav and 5 gals, definitely a partial mash. Normal grav. 1/2 batch or low grav 5 gals (ordinary bitter etc.) can be AG so long as the total grains are about 6lbs. About 80% is a 5 gal partial mash.

1st three batches were extract. As soon as I found out what BIAB was I jumped in head first and haven't looked back.

BIAB can be partial mash or all grain, so the results aren't exactly research worthy.

Back