poll: Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPA - proper name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should it officially be called?

• Black IPA

• Cascadian Dark Ale

• American Dark Ale

• Northwestern Dark Ale

• New England Dark Ale

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's how Abraham Lincoln ended up president.

....well, good point, but maybe a bad example since he turned out to do some good things.

If the republic of cascadia's fictitious ego grows any bigger, it might need it's own regional name.:drunk:

Mine is called Darkness

CHARLIE MURPHAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to revive what is clearly a dead thread, but I just brewed a (whatever they ended up calling this style) and I also named mine "Darkness" in honor of Mr. Murphy and his contributions to the world. Just wanted to say "well played, old boy" to babalu for your discerning taste.

Cheers!!

Sorry to revive what is clearly a dead thread, but I just brewed a (whatever they ended up calling this style) and I also named mine "Darkness" in honor of Mr. Murphy and his contributions to the world. Just wanted to say "well played, old boy" to babalu for your discerning taste.

Cheers!!

Name it "Dahkness" for Babs. He's doing a lot better, but dude and his family still needs a lot of prayers.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/babalu-192443/

sonex said:
Black IPA describes exactly what the beer is, so that gets my vote.

Isn't there something contradictive about "black" and "pale" in the same name though? Thats why I didn't think India Black Ale was a bad name, but then you get the confusion with India Brown Ale if you did IBA. Plus, I mean these ARE American style beers too, so India being in the name is really irrelevant at this point, other than to honor tradition and have a cool back story. I like the fresh start of Cascadian Dark Ale and it sounds kind of victorian or royal.

Isn't there something contradictive about "black" and "pale" in the same name though? Thats why I didn't think India Black Ale was a bad name, but then you get the confusion with India Brown Ale if you did IBA. Plus, I mean these ARE American style beers too, so India being in the name is really irrelevant at this point, other than to honor tradition and have a cool back story. I like the fresh start of Cascadian Dark Ale and it sounds kind of victorian or royal.

It describes what to expect even if you never tasted the style. After all it is just a dark ale that has the taste profile of a IPA. so black IPA fits.

sonex said:
It describes what to expect even if you never tasted the style. After all it is just a dark ale that has the taste profile of a IPA. so black IPA fits.

Thats true.

It's officially Cascadian Dark Ale from bjcp. I personally like Black IPA or India Black Ale

Where did you see that? I can't find anything about it on the BJCP website.

Personally, I like black ale because it could be used to encompass medium-hopped versions, then IBA for IPA versions, and of course IIBA next. Cascading just makes it too regional considering the fact that the first commercial version was completely on the other side of the country.

I do 't care what you call it.... Dark IPA, Black ale, Cascadian... Whatever.

I am drinking on right now thatbI brewed and it is mighty tasty... yumm.

Definitely prefer to call it Cascadian Dark Ale. India Black Ale is pretty good, too. I really don't care for Black IPA.

my vote was for "Black IPA," which is certainly oxymoronic... just as any dark beer with the word "pale" in it's official name. Really, I think something like "India Black Ale" would be most appropriate... or "Black Indian Ale" perhaps... just sayin' ;)

Personally I like that black IPA is oxymoronic. That's what I call it, you don't have to.

Not gonna read this whole thread, so sorry if this is a repeated comment...

Those concerned about "Black IPA" being an oxymoron should first concern themselves with whether they are brewing this beer to survive a long sea voyage to India.

Is "Black IPA" a stupid name that only makes sense in light of its idiosyncratic history? Yes. So is "India Pale Ale". Get over it. :p

Back