Pokémon Go Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A wild Yeastieboy appeared!

50517344.jpg

Dear diary,

Haven't played Pokemon for several days now. I am surprised to discover that I am still alive and there doesn't seem to be any negative effects upon my person as of yet. I had worried that reducing my playing time would proportionally affect the amount of exercise my body receives, but I am sad to report that the cause of my lack of playing; Helping my nephew change his Ball Joints and Bearings, provided plenty of stretching, pulling, twisting, bending, straining, and cursing. I believe that rather than the usual walking or biking I had been getting, I merely exchanged that for more upper body exercise.

I do see a light at the end of the rainbow, though. This weekend I am scheduled to attend a beer festival in Ludington, where I suspect there may be some chance to re-engage myself with this pastime. I cannot be sure, since we will be getting there just a little late, and I have my doubts about my co-attendees wanting to walk around Ludington on a Pokequest. We shall see.

Decided Pokemon is entertaining. The entertaining part is reading about players walking into traffic, over embankments and so on. My favorite was the moron who rear-ended a Baltimore Patrol Car while playing. I LUV POKEMON!!!

Went out today and caught a bunch. Also saw a squirrel munching out on a horse apple, and found a fishing bobber and a quality bass lure.

Blarg! Wtf are lures even for?! There a stop right at my favorite brewpub, so I drop a lure right when I get there. What do I get? F-ing Rattatas and F-ing Pidgeys!!!

Blarg! Wtf are lures even for?! There a stop right at my favorite brewpub, so I drop a lure right when I get there. What do I get? F-ing Rattatas and F-ing Pidgeys!!!

Unsubstantiated rumor here that I heard someone read on Facebook about a blog someone else read. So, yeah.

Lures will most often attract the type of Pokémon most common to the area the stop is located. The increase in the chance of attracting a rare or rare to that area comes from the overall increase in Pokémon at a lured stop. So, not a big increase in chance, usually. It's a quantity thing, not a quality thing.

The best chance to up the chance of catching a rare at a stop is to lure on a stop at least 1 km from any other stop. So says, the chance is even greater if that stop is outside of an area that normally would spawn the ever so common rats and pidgeons. Yes, it does seem that rats and pigeons do flock to cities, just like real life. So, find a stop out in the boonies, and make sure it's at least 1 km from any other stop.

Then thinking here is that the game is programmed to spawn Pokémon where they're "expected to be". Rats and pigeons in cities. Carp, goldfish and other water types near water, and so on. Also, the game tracks how many of a thing has spawned there before, and uses that as part of the formula to spawn at lures. You're going to get more of the same because that's what's there. Now, this theory is, and it's a bit of leap because we don't know how the game historizes data or uses that history, is that if you go to where not a lot of people have lured before, you'll be in a place with less historical data for the game to use, and that will increase the odds of getting a truly rare Pokémon because the generation of Pokémon will be more random.

The thing about that is, what is random? That's a whole nuther topic. Even if every part of the theory is correct, people have been trying to create true random for a long time.

More from the rumor mill.

The next gen of PG will ramp up the "expected to find" aspect. There will be less instance of finding, say, water types away from water. They're also going to make day and night spawns. Some people think they already do. Even seasonal spawns.

Late 2016 and early 2017 will bring 30 to 60 new Pokémon.

Ran out of balls yesterday. Pretty sad.

Found a level56 Drillbee and wasted like 7 balls trying to catch it. Used great balls and raspberry and it still jumped out of the ball until I was empty.

End of the day I still jumped into level 17.

Meanwhile I friend texted to let me know he caught a level 1700+ Lampras. Jurk.

I did start seeing dodrio appear again today, and squirtle and pickachu. My wife caught a pickachu. Mine ran off after breaking one great ball. It took her 8 berries and 9 great balls for a 191 CP.

Haven't had time to go out. Pulled in some items on the way home 2 nights ago. Hit 3 stops.

I offered to drop my daughter off a few blocks away in town so she could have a walkabout and do some pokemoning, but she said she just wanted to read last night.

Not sure I'll have any time for serious collecting for several days. :(

I have been running out of balls lately. I thought about buying a few more for a couple dollars, but last time I did that the game made me waste a bunch of them with some crazy wild throws. It was pretty obvious they were getting some severe knuckleball effects that were happening just a few minutes before. Kind of turned me off from paying just to give them all back. I might change my mind when a rare pops up and I'm out...

Update last night apparently. The only thing I'm seeing different is that they added "Appraise" above the "Transfer" option when viewing a Pokemon, too bad that gives out the same three lines of crap regardless of what poke you click on....

Update last night apparently. The only thing I'm seeing different is that they added "Appraise" above the "Transfer" option when viewing a Pokemon, too bad that gives out the same three lines of crap regardless of what poke you click on....

Appraise may be the start of setting up trading. I heard they were going to allow trainer-to-trainer trades at some point.

Meh. Looks like it just gives lightly better information as far as a pokemon's ability in a gym battle.

I'm going to nerd out for a minute here. In all Pokemon games, each Pokemon has something called IVs. They basically are things that make one Pokemon better than another under the exact same conditions. You could train two of the exact same Pokemon from the same level against the same opponents and they will come out with different attack and defense points (just examples, there are way more stats). I am assuming that this is Niantic's first iteration of giving us this information. They **** down any website that can do this for you so a lot of people have been asking for a way to figure it out in game. Ideally, this tells you if your 500CP Arcanine would be a stronger Pokemon given enough candies than a 1500CP Arcanine. I haven't looked at it yet so idk if this is what they have done, but it at least seems like a step in that direction.

Just went through a few Pokemon and this looks like IVs to me. My two high CP Arcanine's have different best stats, one being attack and the other HP. My lowest CP Pokemon is a shellder at 10 but with "the best stats I've ever seen" according to Sparks. Theoretically, this should mean that this is a high quality shellder that should be stronger in the long run than a shellder with higher CP but worse stats. Hopefully someone confirms all of this soon.

Just went through a few Pokemon and this looks like IVs to me. My two high CP Arcanine's have different best stats, one being attack and the other HP. My lowest CP Pokemon is a shellder at 10 but with "the best stats I've ever seen" according to Sparks. Theoretically, this should mean that this is a high quality shellder that should be stronger in the long run than a shellder with higher CP but worse stats. Hopefully someone confirms all of this soon.

That is what it looks like to me at this point. Could be an interesting feature once it's better understood.

I should have my wife drive me to pick up the band trailer tonight so I can grab a few pokeballs and maybe a toon or two.

One off experience, and there are variables to battling...

Blanche told me my 972 Pidgeot was not so great. I just whooped up on 1372 Eggsecutioner with it.

Blanche told me my 972 Pidgeot was not so great. I just whooped up on 1372 Eggsecutioner with it.

Well, with the right move set, you would have had a type advantage. IVs are not the be all end all. They help make one perfect, but perfect isn't always needed.

Where did you hear that?

New Orleans pokemon reddit. I can confirm that the park near my house which had slowpokes everywhere is now full of magnemites. Some of the other major spawn points in the city have rotated similarly.

The trash pokemon are still mostly the same.

New Orleans pokemon reddit. I can confirm that the park near my house which had slowpokes everywhere is now full of magnemites. Some of the other major spawn points in the city have rotated similarly.

The trash pokemon are still mostly the same.

I wish something had rotated my way. I don't think I'm close to any nests.

The right pairing and the right abilities can greatly affect the outcome of any matchup.

I need to learn more about matchups. The chart is kind of big to memorize.

The right pairing and the right abilities can greatly affect the outcome of any matchup.

I need to learn more about matchups. The chart is kind of big to memorize.

A lot of them are traditional match ups. Fire burns trees so fire is better then grass. There are a bunch like this. Water conducts electricity so water is weak to electric. The more out there types are a little harder but always have some sort of explanation. Brains over brawn helps to explain why psychic is strong against fighting. I find these to be useful.

Back