Pokémon Go Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys think of the new update? And have you seen pictures of the beta testing new tracker? It looks really cool

I have the new trailer and it's pretty cool to look at. Unfortunately, it's still relatively difficult to track anything down. Reddit thinks that Pokemon come off the sightings page when you are more than 200 meters away. There is conjecture that the top left is the closest but it's hard to tell. It's better than nothing as now there is at least a way to know if something cool is nearby but it's nowhere near as easy/accurate as the old three steps in terms of tracking down a specific Pokemon.

Not enough space on my phone to update, and i apparently can't send the update to my SD card where the app is installed.

Everybody is supposed to get the new sightings update. There is another tracker being sent to people in the San Fran area, from what I hear.

I think the new tracker works better, but I didn't have a chance to really test it out.

Last night must have been a full moon because I heard of a BUNCH of people seeing scads of rare pokemons. There was something near me that I hadn't gotten yet, but I was in the middle of a brew club meeting, so it went uncaptured.

They've changed what spawns where. The park across the street from me is now a nest for slowpokes. There are tons of them.

A friend in Cadillac said there was a bunch of pokemons around the lake. He said there was like a hundred people driving around and walking around the lake picking them up. It was like Christmas in August!

If I hadn't made dinner (Champagne Chicken Linguine with fried Zuicchini on the side) I'd have gotten out and tried it myself to see how well it works. Maybe tonight. I ned to get out and get some exercise.

Huh. Maybe Reddit is wrong?

Have you gone to play store and checked for latest update?

The new update has a new Sightings tab, with the grass behind the pokemon but some people (I think players in san Francisco) also have a beta test of a new Nearby on top of the sightings tab. Here's some pictures of it:

Os0rgNYg.png

f5g4x6Rg.png

pE9mKBeg.png

EXerxOQg.png

M0dfXWJg.png

HOLY CRAP!

That beta thing is pretty much just cheating! LOL!

LOl, yea and I wish I had it!

Some people think, and I agree, that it may be part of the next phase from Niantic where they will start allowing companies to pay to have a pokestop at their location. Say a McDonalds pays for one and now they have a dragonite pop up at their location. You see it on your screen, oh it's at McDonalds. You say well its just about lunch time might as well go there for lunch and get the Dragonite!

I have the sightings with the grass but not the Nearby thing. I also seem to be getting you are going to fast, are you a passenger, even when walking.. grrr.

I have the sightings with the grass but not the Nearby thing. I also seem to be getting you are going to fast, are you a passenger, even when walking.. grrr.

I think those are good things. Plus, they probably need to do some CYA to keep people from suing them when someone dies due to a player playing while driving.

If the GPS is flaky, sometimes it doesn't realize you're walking. Then it gets a position fix and has to "run" your avatar to the new position. And it thinks you're driving.

LOl, yea and I wish I had it!

Some people think, and I agree, that it may be part of the next phase from Niantic where they will start allowing companies to pay to have a pokestop at their location. Say a McDonalds pays for one and now they have a dragonite pop up at their location. You see it on your screen, oh it's at McDonalds. You say well its just about lunch time might as well go there for lunch and get the Dragonite!

They never did that with Ingress, although it was rumored. I doubt they do it with Pokemon.

Honestly I am a gamer, but I fail to see the point of the game. I mainly like FPS, RTS and war game sims, so this one is a bit out there for me I suppose. Some folks at work play it, I don't feel the urge...

I guess like most games, there is no point - you like it or you don't...

Honestly I am a gamer, but I fail to see the point of the game. I mainly like FPS, RTS and war game sims, so this one is a bit out there for me I suppose. Some folks at work play it, I don't feel the urge...

I can understand your point. Some of us grew up with the game and this is like an epic moment for us haha. It's pretty great.

There are many different kinds of games, and many different ways of enjoying life. Some people can't stand sports. Some people live for fishing. Some people watch TV.

As far as other video games, I currently play World of Warcraft. Usually it's a couple of hours a week with a friend. The kid and some friends have also been playing a little bit of Broderlands 2 (on sale!) but it's been too hot to want to sit and play that in the evenings.

I don't think Pokemon is any different than any other game. It's simply for the enjoyment at the time. You don't earn money at it (If money is important to you). It's not staring at the TV watching football and not participating like a LOT of people do. It's not sitting in front of the tv like a LOT of people do.

You are encouraged to go out and get exercise while playing. It's just collecting, like stamps, or rare beers, or whatever else people collect.

When I compare to the video games I've played, I think this compares favorably. I don't even consider it a "Video Game" TBH. It's basically a collecting app.

I can understand your point. Some of us grew up with the game and this is like an epic moment for us haha. It's pretty great.

I never liked Pokemon. My kids played a bit with some friends. They watched some of the TV shows. They weren't THAT into it like some kids I know.

But I like this game. What's the point of it? What's the point of anything? I could be playing a pool game, but I uninstalled that. There was no social aspect. You hit some balls around on a virtual pool table for a few minutes and what do you get? Nothing.

The best part of Pokemon is that I'm not sitting in front of the computer or tv vegging out while I'm doing it. I'm out and about. I see things and people I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I'm engaged in conversation with the kid, or whoever is out with me.

As far as the Pokemon aspect, I couldn't care less. A friend was mentioning that they could do a similar thing with World of Warcraft where you have to go around and collect things to get rare items like armour or weapons, spells, pets, mounts, etc. It could be like an extension of WoW. Maybe even have an element of questing in the real world to a certain degree.

There are many different kinds of games, and many different ways of enjoying life. Some people can't stand sports. Some people live for fishing. Some people watch TV.

As far as other video games, I currently play World of Warcraft. Usually it's a couple of hours a week with a friend. The kid and some friends have also been playing a little bit of Broderlands 2 (on sale!) but it's been too hot to want to sit and play that in the evenings.

I don't think Pokemon is any different than any other game. It's simply for the enjoyment at the time. You don't earn money at it (If money is important to you). It's not staring at the TV watching football and not participating like a LOT of people do. It's not sitting in front of the tv like a LOT of people do.

You are encouraged to go out and get exercise while playing. It's just collecting, like stamps, or rare beers, or whatever else people collect.

When I compare to the video games I've played, I think this compares favorably. I don't even consider it a "Video Game" TBH. It's basically a collecting app.

I never liked Pokemon. My kids played a bit with some friends. They watched some of the TV shows. They weren't THAT into it like some kids I know.

But I like this game. What's the point of it? What's the point of anything? I could be playing a pool game, but I uninstalled that. There was no social aspect. You hit some balls around on a virtual pool table for a few minutes and what do you get? Nothing.

The best part of Pokemon is that I'm not sitting in front of the computer or tv vegging out while I'm doing it. I'm out and about. I see things and people I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I'm engaged in conversation with the kid, or whoever is out with me.

As far as the Pokemon aspect, I couldn't care less. A friend was mentioning that they could do a similar thing with World of Warcraft where you have to go around and collect things to get rare items like armour or weapons, spells, pets, mounts, etc. It could be like an extension of WoW. Maybe even have an element of questing in the real world to a certain degree.

Doing dailys irl could violate some fish and game laws. And an asortment of other laws.

Let's do this!

FYI airports are great places to play. People are stuck there a while, so it's easy to find people who have set lures. And there are lots of pokestops. If you spend tons of time on the road like I do, it's a good place to level up.

FYI airports are great places to play. People are stuck there a while, so it's easy to find people who have set lures. And there are lots of pokestops. If you spend tons of time on the road like I do, it's a good place to level up.

Definitely! Not all are created equally unfortunately.

Passed my daughter in levels. Well, we are both lvl16, but I think I have more XP toward 17 right now. Could probably get there if I used a Lucky Egg and evolved a bunch of them again. I'm saving them up until I have no time to play. Went out for 2 walks yesterday.

I had my dog Buddy drag me around last night. The other one, Jasmine, was reported to have whined and paced the whole time because she didn't get to go.

Caught a Graveler and 2 scythers in Cadillac yesterday. Tore down a level 2 Gym in RC and plopped down our Pokes. Hopefully I can recover my goodies later today.

My wife and I took down an Instinct gym. Then two more Mystics came to defend. We had a four Pokémon gym! Then, some stink pants Valor jerk faces came and took it. Dill holes.

Just did some Pokey at the Denver airport yesterday. I found it really buggy. Any tips on maintaining a GPS signal indoors? I set my GPS to high accuracy and that seemed to help but I still had a hard time hitting all the Pokestops and I am running low on balls.

Just did some Pokey at the Denver airport yesterday. I found it really buggy. Any tips on maintaining a GPS signal indoors? I set my GPS to high accuracy and that seemed to help but I still had a hard time hitting all the Pokestops and I am running low on balls.

High accuracy should be good for indoors. It uses all forms of location. I haven't had any luck playing the game without high accuracy turned on.

There isn't much else you can do.

Last edited:

Having your wifi on helps a lot, even if you're not connected to anything.

Also, airports seem to be great places to play. I had a couple of hours in Boston and a layover in Atlanta, and I caught a bunch of new stuff just while sitting in bars having a few beers. People drop lures constantly, and I guess since so many people are playing, it causes unique pokemons to spawn.

Latest posts

Back