Anyone driven the Alaska Highway?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I are planning a trip up the Alaska Highway late this summer. Just the two of us, in a Rav4. Plan to stay at motels, B&Bs, cabins, whatever. Plan to leave mid-late August, come back mid-September. We want to go when the bugs aren't quite as bad, but not so late in the season that we'll run into bad weather. Driving from Minneapolis to Fairbanks, then visiting Denali, Kenai Peninsula, then driving home. We thought about taking the Alaska Marine Highway ferry on the return, but opting instead to drive both ways. I have all the maps I need and bought the latest edition of The Milepost. I have a good idea what's along the way for services.

I am interested to hear if anyone else here has driven it. Any good tips, what you liked, what you'd do differently, etc. Have some favorite sights to see, parks, good restaurants, breweries, favorite lodging along the way? Any particular gear you brought along that was helpful?

We'll be heading west through Montana, then up through Calgary, Edmonton, then northwest to Dawson Creek and up the Alcan. On the way back maybe take the Cassiar Highway in B.C. for a change of scenery part of the way, go through Prince George and Jasper on the Yellowhead Hwy., then home the same way through Alberta, Montana, ND. We've done many cross-country driving trips, but this will be our most ambitious.

Hopefully, there will be some trees left in Alberta and B.C. after these fires. :(

You might consider taking the Alaska Ferry home. It has cabins like a cruise ship and you can take your car, too. Alaska Marine Highway System - The Alaska State Ferry

I lived in Alaska for a number of years, but never drove the Alcan. I had plans to take the ferry when I moved back to the lower 48, but an emergency came up and I had to cancel the trip. Have fun and enjoy the beautiful scenery and animal life.

You might want to consider bringing some emergency supplies, we have a road simply called "the wilderness road" here in Sweden, going close to the Norwegian border in the northern highlands.
Basically 200-250 miles of nothing except woods, hills and alpine meadows.
If this road has desolate stretches like that a tent, camping stove and some MRE style food is probably a good idea, and some first aid.

When I moved from Florida to Alaska (Yea! I know!), my wife and I drove. Took use 2 weeks, taking our time and sightseeing on the way.

I would definitely recommend getting The Milepost. The MILEPOST 2023: Alaska Travel Planner: Reeves, Serine: 9781892154576: Amazon.com: Books. It will tell you how far away the next town is, where to get gas, food, and hotel availability. I wouldn't even consider driving northern Canada or Alaska without one.

Latest posts

Back