PLZ Tell me It will get BETTER!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bpts_finest13

Reaction score
Whats up HBT,
I just finished bottling my very first batch (TRUE BREW AMBER ALE) extract. I have heard in the past that this is a good time to try the beer to see what it will taste like when its done. Well that was exactly what i did and it tasted very HOPY, which I think it was because I let the hops go in the ferment er because the instructions didnt say anything about it. so I left them in there. Now the part that I am worried about is that it tasted really watered down. Please tell me that leaving these BAD BOYS in the bottle for a couple weeks will change this!!??

so you didn't put any hops in the boil, just the fermenter? I'm suprised the instructions didn't say anything about the hops

My personal experience is that a beer can completely change after a little ageing. I've tried beers after fermentation and didn't like them at all and after a month in the bottle they improved significantly. I don't know about the watered down taste but the hop flavor will probably tone back a bit with age.

Carbonation will help with mouth feel. Homebrewers are always complaining about watered down tasting beer; I usually put carahel and carafoam in my beers to help with mouthfeel.

I wouldn't worry about hops getting in the fermenter from the boil, it happens, and is fine. The hop flavor will back off over time.

so you didn't put any hops in the boil, just the fermenter? I'm suprised the instructions didn't say anything about the hops

I did and boiled it for 60 MINS, what i didn't do was remove it when I added the wart to the fermenter. I actually started straining it out but I have read here and also on How To Brew to follow the creators instructions. since they didn't say to remove the hops i left them in the wart in the fermenter.

Thanx everybody for the feedback, I hope it turns good and it actually taste like beer and not water in a couple weeks

I did and boiled it for 60 MINS, what i didn't do was remove it when I added the wart to the fermenter. I actually started straining it out but I have read here and also on How To Brew to follow the creators instructions. since they didn't say to remove the hops i left them in the wart in the fermenter.

it'll be fine. as mentioned it will gain mouthfeel and the hops will settle in to the trub. let it sit for a good 3+ weeks
congrats on your first batch :mug:

wait 3 week. then chill and rink one. it'll be good.. that was my first kit too... stuff I've made since then has only gotten better... much better :)

I had a similar experience when I started. I was so disappointed I didn't even want to see those bottles, so I stashed them in a dark corner and forgot about them. A few months later I was getting ready to move and found them - it was amazing how much better they were! And I was about to give up brewing completely - yikes!

I had a similar experience when I started. I was so disappointed I didn't even want to see those bottles, so I stashed them in a dark corner and forgot about them. A few months later I was getting ready to move and found them - it was amazing how much better they were! And I was about to give up brewing completely - yikes!

Tell me about it.. I've been so exited and anxious with this hobby that i feel this all make it or break it... I am even debating if i should start my new batch today or not??!!

If it will make you feel any better one time I took a gravity sample, tasted it, and thought "oh well, the taste will perk up when I add the hops". I immediately facepalmed.

If it will make you feel any better one time I took a gravity sample, tasted it, and thought "oh well, the taste will perk up when I add the hops". I immediately facepalmed.

Wait??!! I am so lost.. was it too bland or u forgot to add hops period..

No no, I had added hops at boil time but after 10 days in the fermenter it tasted watery to me. It was fine but I just had a brain fart. The beer turned out perfect.

Sounds good.. I have mines in my basement where is nice and dark and the temp is in the low 50s though.. hopefully in a couple weeks she'll be ok and great in a month or so...

Btw I just found out what facepalm was yesterday.. lol

Back