Pliny The Elder Yeast Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just created this beast of a beer and this was what my numbers were:

OG = 1.074 (mine 1.070 )
FG = 1.014 ( mine1.010 )
ABV = 8.3% (mine 7.88%)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) (no pre)

Did I get close? I'd say yes. How could it have reached full attention? Starter? Maybe that would have put it where it needed to be. But I felt fortunate to get this far as this was only my second BIAB adventure and this was a very intense brew day.

How could it have reached full attenuation? If by full attenuation, you mean the expected (recipe) attenuation...
(74 - 14 ) / 74 = 81% apparent attenuation

And you got...
(70 - 10) / 70 = 86% apparent attenuation.

So, so got higher apparent attenuation than you were expecting. Not less.

Also, 1.074 to 1.014 would be ~7.9% ABV, not 8.3%. You actually managed to get the expected ABV by getting higher apparent attenuation than expected, starting from a lower OG. There's not a lack of attenuation issue here. There may be a mash efficiency issue, or a wort volume issue.

I just created this beast of a beer and this was what my numbers were:

OG = 1.074 (mine 1.070 )
FG = 1.014 ( mine1.010 )
ABV = 8.3% (mine 7.88%)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) (no pre)

Did I get close? I'd say yes. How could it have reached full attention? Starter? Maybe that would have put it where it needed to be. But I felt fortunate to get this far as this was only my second BIAB adventure and this was a very intense brew day.
It attenuated more than what was predicted as it is, so I don't know why you'd want to change anything in regards to that. The lower ABV is a result of the lower OG. If you want to get closer to 8%, adjust your grain bill to account for the lower than expected efficiency.

Depending on what yeast you used and your mash temp, you may have ended up right where you need to be with that OG. Mashing at 150 and using US-05 should end at around 1.010. Depending on the ABV calculator you use, this could be anywhere from 7.9% to 8.2%. For that recipe and assuming you are using US-05, 1.012 FG should be closer to what you would expect. Understand though that attenuation is just an estimate and can be affected by things like temperature, yeast health, pH, etc.

Latest posts

Back