Pliny the Elder Extract - Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STFulton1

Reaction score
I am currently on day 12 of fermentation. My plan is to dry hop this weekend for 7 days.

Should I dry hop in my primary or move to a secondary and dry hop in there?

I also brewed a Pliny the Elder clone last weekend. Will be leaving it in primary for 3 weeks, secondary for a month(I travel for extended periods for work) then dry hop for 5-7days and bottle. I am interested in the responses that you get so I am going to tag along.

Send via IBrew!

I don't have a definitive answer, but I just brewed Pliny this past weekend. My plan was a couple of weeks primary and then 2-3 weeks secondary with dry hopping the last week. I can tell you that many recommend no secondary at all and to just leave it in primary longer and dry hop in there. The main reason I'm going with secondary is to free up my 6 gallon carboy (I only have the one).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It doesn't matter. You can dryhop in the primary if you'd like, and then rack to the bottling bucket when it's done. Or, if you're saving the yeast or something out of the primary, you can rack to a different vessel on the dryhops.

I've done it both ways, and it doesn't change or affect the flavor or aroma.

Pliny IS best drunk young, though- so either way, don't age it!

Back