Please Help! What BJCP category for home-brew competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guittarmaster

Reaction score
Hello HBT community!

I have this beer i brewed 9 months ago and want to enter it in a local home brew competition but I don't know what I should classify it as. I can provide details such as yeast, OG, FG, after work. Here is what happened.

The nitty-gritty is about last June I decided to brew a peach Hefeweizen for SWMBO to keep the hobby in her good graces. After primary I raked it onto the juice of about 10lbs of peaches. I used Sodium Metabolite a day before raking in an attempt to sterilize the juice. I transferred and fermentation kicked off again. I waited a few weeks and went to transfer again and to my surprise there was an infection I identified with moderate confidence as possible being a wild brett. I decided to wait and see what happened to this beer instead of throwing it away.

fast forward to yesterday ~ 9 months later. I checked the beer. There is still a white layer on it but it smelled GOOD!! i mean, REALLY GOOD; peachy, floral, tart. I raked it to a keg and have it carbonating.

while raking I poured some into a cup and tasted it. in that flat stage It was at first tart and sour but not overwhelmingly so; half as tart and sour as a Lindemans Framboise. it is very dry and next the peachy-ness comes through with lots of floral notes. It has no hint of the hops and the hefe-ness was not noticable, atleast not flat..

I want to enter it cause it's the most interesting and complex beer I've yet brewed.

How do you think I should classify this? Berliner Weissbier? Fruit Lambic?

Looking at the fruit Lambic description I didn't notice any of the "barnyard, earthy, goaty, hay, horsey, and horse blanket" but that could be due to temperature and no carbonation.

Thoughts?

Isnt Lindemans' Framboise one of their sickly sweet not sour bad examples of a fruited lambic? Anything would taste sour compared to that. Haha.

If it tastes fruity and only tart I would enter it as fruit beer. If it has obvious brett then 28c would be the category for a funky brett only fruit beer or a sour fruit beer or a sour brett beer. I would suggest carb it up and sample it while reading the guidelines. If its not sour (just tart) nor brett like you'll have your answer.

Sounds delicious by the way

Back