What does it take to win a homebrew competition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the point of competing if you don't get good feedback? My son and I will not likely renew our AHA next year.

The NHC hasn't been a source of good feedback for several years. If that's what you are looking for, your money is better spent at some of the larger competitions that normally go on through out the year.

I got my results a few days ago. one of them won its category. excited about that, i knew it was good.
the other one i didn't have high hopes for because i used some yeast i had on hand that was clearly not to style. It was otherwise well done and scored a 30 &32 and sent to a mini-bos. No surprise that it didn't place but i was surprised to see than no bronze medal was awarded in the category.

the other one i didn't have high hopes for because i used some yeast i had on hand that was clearly not to style. It was otherwise well done and scored a 30 &32 and sent to a mini-bos. No surprise that it didn't place but i was surprised to see than no bronze medal was awarded in the category.

I don't know what happened in this case, but I think BJCP judges generally have the option to not award medals (even to 1st place) if they don't think the beer(s) that otherwise ranked into that place(s) are medal worthy. I can't say I've seen it happen much though.

IMO scores of 30 & 32 are good enough to receive a bronze metal. Gold and silver would obviously be higher. Per the BJCP score sheet 30 - 37 = very good. Maybe the rules of that competition has set levels for a given placement.

IMO scores of 30 & 32 are good enough to receive a bronze metal. Gold and silver would obviously be higher. Per the BJCP score sheet 30 - 37 = very good. Maybe the rules of that competition has set levels for a given placement.
That could be the case but they don’t say that anywhere in the rules. My understanding is 30+ goes to mini-bos , judges pick the best three.

I don't know what happened in this case, but I think BJCP judges generally have the option to not award medals (even to 1st place) if they don't think the beer(s) that otherwise ranked into that place(s) are medal worthy. I can't say I've seen it happen much though.

Apparently there is quite a bit of latitude for the judges. I remember a few years back at a med/large local comp, one category (don't remember which one) awarded a 2nd. Place but no First or Third even though there were several entries for that category. The thinking might have been that the "winner" was not worthy of advancing to the Best of Show round, and none of the other entries was worthy of an award. I'm not a certified judge so I can't say with any certainty. Maybe one of the resident judges can weigh in on the question.

A mini-BOS round is like a BOS round, in that the scores from the original flight are irrelevant. IOW, it doesn't matter at all what the original judges thought (unless they also happen to be judging the mini-BOS too).

Mini-BOS beers are usually pushed in by their comparative scores with other beers in the flight but there's no hard and fast rule that says all beers over 30 must go into mini BOS. I've had flights where there were four beers in the 40s so there was no reason to bring in any in the low or mid 30s. Even then, someone can petition that they'd like the "38" for example, move forward because some judging teams may be consistently generous or harsh with their part of the flight.

On more than a few occasions I've watched a high 30s entry take gold over a low 40s entry.

So from the last couple of posts im gathering the following:
-a 30 doesn't necessarily get you into the mini-bos
-mini-bos is judged independently; prior scores are not used.
-Even if you are one of only 3 entries in the mini-bos, you could still get snubbed. Lol

You are correct @VikeMan. It is rare but if all entries score below a deserving threshold a ribbon is not awarded simply because an offering was entered. However, those entered will be evaluated and feed back provided to the brewer.

To the OP, just do it. I've been homebrewing for 7-8 years and just entered my first competition 2 years ago. Didn't win anything but received great feedback telling me why. I struck up a conversation with one of the judges and (with his blessing) have been emailing him ever since. Some of the best feedback and information on how to improve has come from him and I would not have that if I hadn't made that plunge. My brewing processes, and thus my beers, are infinitely better because of it. No comp last year but I'm in one later this month and can't wait.

Latest posts

Back