Please Critique My Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tfire136

Reaction score
Whats up everyone,

Looking to brew something different and figured I would go with a nice Saison. I am looking for people's thoughts and critiques of a recipe I threw together in Beersmith. This will be a 3 gallon batch with an anticipated OG of 1.054 an estimated ABV of 5.9 with 65% efficiency and 25 IBUs.

4# Pilsner
1# Pale Wheat Malt
8oz Belgian Candi Syrup
8oz Dark Munich
8oz Victory
3oz Dark Crystal (120L)
2oz Acid Malt
4oz Rice Hulls
.25oz Cascade 60min
.25oz Centennial 60min
.25oz Tettnang 15min
.25oz Bitter Orange Peel 10min
.25oz Grains of Paradise 10 min

White Labs American Farmhouse Blend WLP670

I appreciate the input. I figured a touch of acid malt would compliment some of the sourness from the Bret in the WLP670.

I haven't used 670 yet, but the bill looks good. I like the addition of orange peel. Others say let the yeast build the character up. I like to use about 1 oz of orange peel in my Saison's, but that is just me. I think it looks good. You could probably get by without the rice hulls.

I haven't used 670 yet, but the bill looks good. I like the addition of orange peel. Others say let the yeast build the character up. I like to use about 1 oz of orange peel in my Saison's, but that is just me. I think it looks good. You could probably get by without the rice hulls.

Thanks for the insight! I will scrap the rice hulls...adding them almost seems like habit lol

Back