Plate Chiller connection confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
I recently bought a plate chiller like this one pictured.
Not that impressed. It's slow, despite what I read about other users.
I wonder if I'm using it correctly.
I am using counterflow, with the water running in the direction of the "V" ripples on the plate and the wort running in the opposite direction.
The way these are built is that inlet and outlet for each liquid is on the same (long) side.
I noticed that it is quite cool on one (long) side and quite hot on the other when I use it.
This seems to indicate that the water and wort are flowing mainly along their own (long) sides, and not spreading evenly across the plates in order to efficiently exchange heat.

Should I be flowing both liquids in the same direction rather than counterflow, and flowing in the direction of the "V's, so that they are both directed by the ripples toward the centre?

In short how are these plate chillers designed to be connected?

30plate.gif

I don't have one, but if they're built the way I think they are, you should be able to see one port go deep all the way down to the bottom of the unit and the one directly next to it go shallow, only to the first plate cavity.

If that's true, if you flow the wort into the shallow port, the coolant water should be fed into the deep port on the other end. That's how you'd counter flow this unit.

Slow is all relative though. How warm is your coolant? Even at 100% efficiency, the wort coming out can only be as low as the coolant temp going in.

Latest posts

Back