Plastic Tube Safety

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackHat

Reaction score
I just started doing partial mashes, following Chris Colby's countertop method []Brew Your Own (BYO), the How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine. Didn't think of hot-side aeration on my first batch so I just let it fly out of the spigot into the kettle. This time I want to do things a little more gracefully so I'll be using a plastic hose into the kettle.

I don't have any high-temperature hosing - just the standard clear plastic 3/8" tubing [http://www.northernbrewer.com/siphon.html]. The wort will be between about 140-180F. Is it safe to use this tubing? Is there somewhere other than the Internet or my LHBS to get heat resistant tubing? I don't think my LHBS carries this.

Thanks

i use the same thing...be careful because it gets softer than normal and can fly off. I dont really believe in HSA but after brewing for the amount of time i have and all i hear about it on here i do the same thing. My first few batches i just let it fly and now...the hoses come out. Your good to go. its good up to boiling. 212

Back