Plastic Conical Drain Type: 1.5" FPT or 2" MPT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most builds I've seen or read of use the 1.5" FPT bottom fitting on the full drain inductor tanks. It seems to me that buying the 2" MPT style and a 2" FPT > 2" tri is the better way to go. With the 1.5" female you're creating a lip on the inside when you screw in the fitting.

Is there something I'm missing? What style do you have on your plastic conical? Was it the right choice?

Thanks!

At the end of the day threads are threads in a fermenter and will collect "stuff" at some point or another. the 2" mpt does give you a larger outlet compared to the 1.5" which is a plus and might be worth going with. The only plus on the fpt is that you can have sanitizer on top of the threads so it stands a better chance of working its way down into the threads to where stuff may remain after draining. I still disassemble mine every few batches to clean the adapter and conical threads.

Back