Plastic bottles leaching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john901

Reaction score
I have been bottling for a few years now between kegs, glass bottles, and soda bottles with the pete1. Eventually i noticed i would randomly get very red in the face and have slight difficulty breathing after drinking.
I initially thought i had developed a beer or yeast allergy but it was very random and beer at a bar or i bought would not do it.
So i thought it was something i was doing maybe sanitizer but no that was not it.
Then i noticed drinking out of my kegs or bottles it does not happen.
Now i am almost sure its the plastic soda bottles typically just one 20-24 oz bottle of beer out of a pet bottles and i am very red and hot.
I also re-use them several times sometimes they sit for a year or more.
I do not think they are bad if i use them only once and they don't sit too long but I'm not even sure about that.
They don't look dirty or scratched so i don't think it is bacteria.
I know plastic 2,4,5 are supposed to be safest and 1 is supposed to be safe but is only intended for one use and not for beer. There seem to be varying opinions if it is safe. Many sites say it is safe, others say they leech in hot temps or over extended amounts of time.

Well, i just wanted to see if anyone else has a similar reaction or not.
At this point i am going to get rid of all of my older plastic bottles and hopefully phase them out completely. Glass is obviously better all around just more expensive and harder to get. But i was contemplating having to give up drinking since the reaction was so unpleasant.
There were times where i had a few of these beers i got so hot and red and my heart was beating in my head and i had to take deep breaths just to breathe. Not good.
Then i could drink a six pack the next day and not a thing.

I typically do not, i usually just rinse, use a bottle brush, then a water jet, dry, sanitize.
That is the same thing i do with my glass bottles as well though.

Back